1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with wave speed

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass 3.1 kg rests on a frictionless inclined plane, held in place by a string of mass 0.023 kg. The angle of the plane from the horizontal is 32°, and the string length is 1.5 m. How long does it take a wave to travel from one end of the string to the other? Note: Since the string is so much less massive than the block, the mass of the string can be neglected when calculating its tension.

2. Relevant equations
    v= square root of F/linear density
    v= Distance/Time

3. The attempt at a solution

I have worked this several times and I keep coming up with .025. I got force of gravity in the x direction and came up with 55.1N. I then divided that by the linear density (.023/1.5m.) After taking the square root of that, my V was 59.9 M/s. I then put that in the V= D/T and got .025. Please tell me where I'm going wrong here. Thanks!

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show how you got that.

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    30.38/sin32

5. May 24, 2010 #4

Doc Al

That's incorrect. You need to review how to find the component of weight parallel to the incline.

6. May 24, 2010 #5
    ahhh i knew it would be something stupid like that! Ill look into it and get back on here. Thanks

7. May 24, 2010 #6
    Hmm still confused. I think im getting the angles in the wrong places. Is it Fgx= 30.38/cos32?

Edit

I dont think thats right. . . i dont know where I'm going wrong

8. May 24, 2010 #7
  9. May 25, 2010 #8
    Figured it out. Thanks for the help

10. May 25, 2010 #9

Doc Al

I'm glad you figured it out. In your diagram, you have the x-component as the hypotenuse of your right triangle. That's incorrect. The hypotenuse is always the full vector, which in this case is Fg; the components are the smaller sides.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook