1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Work (very easy problem)

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1
    I honestly feel like a complete idiot asking this, since I know it's really easy, but I just can't get the answer. The question is...

A 3.0 kg block moves in a straight line on a horizontal frictionless surface under the influence of a force that varies with position as shown in Figure 7-38 (attached). How much work is done by the force as the block moves from the origin to x = 8.0 m?

I thought this problem was as simple as finding the area under the curve, because it's force versus distance. Doing this, I got -45 because the bottom of the graph goes into the negatives (or 105 if negatives don't mean anything). Neither of these answers are correct (using WebAssign for homework), and I can't figure out why. Am I just being really stupid with the math? Does the mass even matter, I thought it didn't because you're just integrating? Sorry for the stupid question, I just don't have anyone else to ask... :shy:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I can't see the attachment, but basically, the work should be [tex]W = \int_{0}^8 F(x)dx[/tex], where F(x) is your graph. The integral actually equals the change in potential, U(8) - U(0), where the potential U(x) is the antiderivative of F(x).

4. Oct 23, 2006 #3

rsk

Can you give us an expression for F - given that we can't see the attachment yet?

You must have one, to be able to integrate? Or is your graph just straight lines?

5. Oct 23, 2006 #4
    It is simply a graph with straight lines. I thought that you simply break them up into rectangles and triangles and just add the areas..I really hope my simple math is just wrong, because otherwise I have no idea..Heres the direct link to the graph.

http://www.webassign.net/hrw/07_33.gif

6. Oct 23, 2006 #5

rsk

It must be your maths. I can't get 105 or 45 no matter what.

Remember you´re taking the areas around the F=0 line.

7. Oct 23, 2006 #6
    Oh, around the 0? Okay, 25, I got it. I thought you just took it to the bottom of the graph itself. Sorry for the stupid question, Im a freshman in high school in physics, so I don't pick up on this stuff easily by myself. Thank you very much. :biggrin:

8. Oct 23, 2006 #7

rsk

Easy mistake from the way that graph is drawn!

9. Oct 23, 2006 #8

radou

Homework Helper

There are no stupid questions. :smile:

10. Oct 23, 2006 #9

rsk

But there are, at times, stupidly presented graphs.... ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?