What Caused the Universe to Come Into Existence?

• Thread starter Ifrit
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is new to the website and has a question about the concept of energy in relation to the finite universe. They mention that they are not trying to be rude or condescending. Another user responds saying that there is no inconsistency and explains the law of conservation of energy. The user is directed to the cosmology section for more information. The original user thanks them and asks for their thoughts on the Big Bang theory. The conversation then shifts to discussing belief versus evidence in science.
Ifrit
Hello.

First off, I'd like to mention that I'm new to this website, and I apologize if my question is in the wrong section of the forums.

That aside, I have a question that has been bugging me. I have a moderate understanding of physics, so please consider that when you go to answer my questions.

I hear that energy cannot be created or destroyed. I also hear that the universe is finite - that at some point, it came into existence. I find some inconsistencies with this...

First off, how can energy form itself? Of course humans cannot create energy, but how did the energy come to being? What, scientifically, made it? If it was never "created", then it must be eternal. However, eternal energy in a finite universe doesn't make sense. Did the energy exist before the universe was around? If so, how is that possible?

Not trying to sound rude or condescending; merely a question that has been bugging me, and I figured, no better place to get an answer than Physics Forums.

Thanks to those of you who have read this, and I'd very much appreciate an answer (just try not to make it go over my head).

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Ifrit.
You are correct that this is the proper place to ask such a question in expectation of legitimate answers. In this case, however, you won't likely get a definitive one. That is simply because the origin of the universe is still under investigation. The Astronomy dudes here will do everything that they can to bring you up to speed, but be aware that it's an open-ended study.

There is no inconsistency.

The law of conservation of energy ONLY says that the total energy of the universe is a constant. That means you can't use it to speak of energy before the universe existed.

The section you should read is the cosmology section.

Welcome to PF, Ifrit.
You are correct that this is the proper place to ask such a question in expectation of legitimate answers. In this case, however, you won't likely get a definitive one. That is simply because the origin of the universe is still under investigation. The Astronomy dudes here will do everything that they can to bring you up to speed, but be aware that it's an open-ended study.

Thanks for the welcome and for the answer. Just out of curiosity, do you believe in the Big Bang?

There is no inconsistency.

The law of conservation of energy ONLY says that the total energy of the universe is a constant. That means you can't use it to speak of energy before the universe existed.

Thanks for the answer. A few questions...

Can energy exist without the universe? If energy was present before the universe, what made it? A little confusing. :confused:

The section you should read is the cosmology section.

I'll take your advice. Thanks.

Ifrit said:
Thanks for the welcome and for the answer. Just out of curiosity, do you believe in the Big Bang?

You're welcome. Yes, I do. All available evidence points toward it. I don't understand it particularly well, since it's pretty much a mathematical field, but to the extent that I do, it certainly makes more sense than any supernatural explanation.

Ifrit said:
Just out of curiosity, do you believe in the Big Bang?

I try to follow Bertrand Russell's definition: "Belief" is "That for which there is no evidence".

Therefore, neither "belief" or "disbelief" have anything to do with physics.

If you accept the experimental evidence is consistent with the idea of a Big Bang, that has nothing to do with "belief".

If you have an alternative scientific hypothesis to explain the evidence, that has nothing to do with "belief" or "disbelief" either - and the cosmology section is probably a good place to discuss it.

What does it mean when someone says "Help would be appreciated."?

When someone says "Help would be appreciated," it means that they are in need of assistance and would be grateful for any support or aid that is offered to them.

Why do people say "Help would be appreciated."?

People say "Help would be appreciated" because they are facing a problem or challenge that they are unable to solve on their own and need the assistance of others.

How can I offer help to someone who says "Help would be appreciated."?

You can offer help to someone who says "Help would be appreciated" by asking them what kind of help they need and offering to assist them in any way you can.

What can I do if someone says "Help would be appreciated." but I am unable to help?

If you are unable to help someone who says "Help would be appreciated," you can offer to connect them with someone who may be able to assist them or provide them with resources or information that could be helpful.

Is it rude to say "Help would be appreciated."?

No, it is not rude to say "Help would be appreciated." In fact, it is a polite and humble way to express a need for assistance.