How to Solve Cartesian Co-ordinates in Lagrangian Mechanics?

• Thread starter mooberrymarz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a student seeking help with their assignment on Lagrangian mechanics. The assignment required them to name cartesian coordinates that fully specify the position of moving masses in a system and obtain expressions for those coordinates as functions of generalized coordinates. The student also asked for clarification on what was expected in terms of choosing a reference frame and using generalized coordinates. Some participants in the conversation offered helpful explanations and resources for understanding the concept of generalized coordinates.
mooberrymarz
:confused: :confused: :cry: hey ppl! have just started a course in lagrangian mechanics and it hasnt been the easiest thing. Ahemm, Anywayz we have a assigment to hand in I just don't know how to do these questions. You have to
1. Name cartesian co-ordinates which fully specify the position of all the moving masses in the system.
2. Obtain expressions giving each of the cartesian co-ordinates as functions of the genralised co-ordinates.

]Could any of you show me how to do these 2 and I will try do the rest by myself.]

a. A plastic knife flying through the air
b.A piece of chalk rolling without slipping inside a stationary cardboard roll, but with slippage allowed between the chalk and the board.

Thanx. moo

Physics news on Phys.org
mooberrymarz said:
:confused: :confused: :cry: hey ppl! have just started a course in lagrangian mechanics and it hasnt been the easiest thing. Ahemm, Anywayz we have a assigment to hand in I just don't know how to do these questions. You have to
1. Name cartesian co-ordinates which fully specify the position of all the moving masses in the system.
2. Obtain expressions giving each of the cartesian co-ordinates as functions of the genralised co-ordinates.

Be more specific, what do you mean by cartesian co-ordinates? Explain the situation clearly, and exactly what your assignment is, its hard to help when only a couple of questions are known from an entire assignment.

a. A plastic knife flying through the air
b.A piece of chalk rolling without slipping inside a stationary cardboard roll, but with slippage allowed between the chalk and the board.

Is this the situation that the two questions apply to?

I typed out exactly what my lecturere gave us. You should do 1.) and 2.) for a) and b). In other words for the two cases propose generalised coordinates that directly express the system's position using the minimum amount of parameters. I don't really get what he wants myself.

I think mooberrymarz means you got to choose a referenceframe in which the coordinates are as simple as possible.

But what about them generalized coordinates, huh ?

regards
marlon

Last edited:
For a "plastic knife", that is, a rigid body with a length much greater than the other two dimensions, you could do this: choose a point at one end and record its (x, y, z) coordinates. To find the coordinates of any other point, you will need to know its distance from that recorded point as well as the angles the line between them makes with the x, y, z axes (Those are not independent so you really only need two angles). That is, this is a 6 dimensional problem. "Generalized" coordinates means that you must include momenta as independent coordinates.

As some have said, "cartesian coordinates" are x,y,z coordinates that locate the object. These are coordinates in a "configuration space".

"Generalized coordinates" are another set of "configuration space" coordinates.
For example, it may be that there is a more convenient set of coordinates, or there may be some constraints on the cartesian coordinates.

A useful question to keep in mind is "How many [configuration] degrees of freedom does the system have?"
A particle confined to a circle has one degree of freedom, although one might use two [obviously not independent] cartesian coordinates to describe it.

http://www.sydgram.nsw.edu.au/CollegeSt/extension/lagrangian/lagrang.pdf
(p 26 may be enlightening)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx you guys! : )

Hey moo - good luck on the assignment. It's nice to see you around PF again.

1. What kind of help is needed?

The type of help needed would depend on the specific situation. It could range from physical assistance to emotional support.

2. Can I offer help without being asked?

Yes, offering help without being asked can be a kind gesture. However, it is important to respect the boundaries and preferences of the person in need of help.

3. How can I provide effective help?

Effective help can be provided by actively listening and understanding the needs of the person. Offering practical solutions and supporting them through their difficulties can also be helpful.

4. Is it okay to ask for help myself?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength and self-awareness. It is important to recognize when we need assistance and be willing to seek it.

5. How can I support someone who is hesitant to accept help?

It is important to respect someone's decision to not accept help. However, you can offer reassurance and let them know that you are there for them if they change their mind. You can also suggest alternative forms of support, such as therapy or support groups.