1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help writing net ionic equation

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    I have no idea how to write these two reactions as net ionic equations in order to show relevancy to their respective pH:

Na2CO3 + HCl (pH of 10.36) I know that it dissociates into OH- ions since it has a very basic pH

and

NaHSO4 + HCl (pH of 4.18) I also know that this dissociates into H+ ions since the pH is very acidic. However, I am terrible at these types of equations and desperately need help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2
    How in the world does HCl give you a pH of 10.36?

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Show the reaction completely as ions for the reactants and the products. Write these all fully. Then, just rewrite without all of the non-acting ions which seemed to not participate in the reaction. Note that in your first reaction you will drive ..... WHAT? Why do you indicate a pH of 10.60 ? Your solution of NaCO3 might begin with that pH, but how far do you want it to go in the neutralization? All the way, or just part of the way? My guess is you want complete neutralization. Be sure you balance the reaction for this. First step is carbonate to bicarbonate; second step is bicarbonate to carbonic acid and you may lose this through decomposition to carbon dioxide.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook