Design a tree support system for windstorms

In summary, the conversation is about designing a tree support system for windstorms. The suggested design includes using three wire rope slings with loops at both ends, with one more rope tied around the tree's neck and anchored to the ground at 120 degree intervals. The strength of the tree is not important in this design, as the ropes will bear the load. The focus is on saving the tree's trunk and not the branches.
titus_polo
I have a project, i don't know if someone has done it, but i just can't conceptualized the whole system..i am to design a tree support system for windstorms, does someone has an idea on how it supposed to look like...im thinking of putting an anchor, like guyed wired on it.. i was thnking that it should somewhat be easy to setup, just for the purpose of typhoon and can easily be remove when the typhoon's gone.so its not a permanent connection..what material should i consider.
and what books should i read..tnx

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
go for 3 wire rope slings (having loop at both ends of the wire rope). take one more rope, put one end of each sling into it and tie this rope around the stem of tree neck (just above the branches are starting). more height from better the support. (cantilever movement is supported). now around the tree in the ground, 120 deg apart achor the other ends of the sling.
the diameter, length, quantity all depends what is the nature of the tree and wind.

P.Ramesh said:
go for 3 wire rope slings (having loop at both ends of the wire rope). take one more rope, put one end of each sling into it and tie this rope around the stem of tree neck (just above the branches are starting). more height from better the support. (cantilever movement is supported). now around the tree in the ground, 120 deg apart achor the other ends of the sling.
the diameter, length, quantity all depends what is the nature of the tree and wind.

Replied in your PM.

just wanted to ask..how can i compute the strength of the tree.is there a convention,because as far as i know,they can withstand certain load..for e.g 250 mph wind load..

Hi Polo,

U need not to know the strength of the tree at all. First calculate, the wind force acting on the tree due to the resisting area of the tree. This force is going to be shared by two ropes (depending on wind direction, the third one will be tension free, slacking). so by this way due to this force when tree bends at its neck (like cantilever) the load will go to the two ropes and make them tensed. So in total, the tree is not going to take load and deflect, it just distributes the wire ropes.

P.Ramesh said:
Hi Polo,

U need not to know the strength of the tree at all

Pardon?

Question: What transfers the load from the force of the wind into the ropes:
Answer: The tree.

Question: What happens if the loads in the tree exceed the strength of the tree?
Answer: The tree breaks.

Question: Is the strength of the tree important in designing the system?
Answer: You decide...

well, i just want that my design would be economical in a way, just to help the tree to carry its load..thus i would be computing a much smaller diameter for the rope,(can i use wire instead or cable)..or the guy would be the only one to carry the loads...because it would be designed for typhoon season so would it be enough..btw,tnx for the replies.

yeah..thats exactly what I am thinking...and unlike when ur designing guyed towers...u could actually look for the value of modulus of elasticty, or E for a certain material..what should do with trees.?

AlephZero said:
Pardon?

Question: What transfers the load from the force of the wind into the ropes:
Answer: The tree.

Question: What happens if the loads in the tree exceed the strength of the tree?
Answer: The tree breaks.

Question: Is the strength of the tree important in designing the system?
Answer: You decide...

Yes. It would be better if the questions and answers are read once again. We are here to save the tree (shank-ground to neck). Not the branches. I agree we should consider breaking strength of the tree branches if we are to save the branches of the tree. In this scenario, as long as ropes take the load, no question of bothering for youngs modulus of tree shank.
I request you to think in other direction.
If required you can PM me.
bye.

1. What are the main factors to consider when designing a tree support system for windstorms?

The main factors to consider when designing a tree support system for windstorms are the type and size of the tree, the strength and direction of wind in the area, the soil conditions, and the surrounding environment.

2. What materials should be used for a tree support system?

The materials used for a tree support system should be strong and durable, such as steel cables or rods, to withstand strong winds. It is also important to use materials that are safe for the tree and will not cause damage or restrict its growth.

3. How do you determine the appropriate height and angle for the support system?

The height and angle of the support system should be determined by the size and type of the tree, as well as the expected wind speed and direction. It is important to consult with an arborist or tree expert to determine the best placement for the support system.

4. How do you install a tree support system?

The installation of a tree support system should be done carefully and by a professional. The anchor points should be securely attached to the tree and the ground, and the support system should be tensioned to the appropriate level. Regular inspections and adjustments may also be necessary.

5. Can a tree support system be removed after a windstorm?

In most cases, a tree support system can be safely removed after a windstorm if the tree remains stable. However, it is important to consult with a professional before removing any support system, as it may still be necessary for the tree's stability and growth.