Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help $@*%!

1. May 15, 2005 #1
    Help!! $@*%!

So, i was going through the homework forums, seeing if i could help anyone... and its just so funny how many threads there say HELP! as if people posting threads in the HW sections aren't assumed to need help... i'd be rather surprised if someone posted in there and was like, "hi guys, i have these problems, and i worked out all the answers.... just thought i'd let you know..."

there should just be like... a thing that refuses to allow people to put the word "help" in the subject of their posts. a little error message should pop up, sorry, but putting "help" in the subject of your post is entirely useless, as its assumed you'd like help, and using "help" as your subject actually gives us no idea what subject you need help with. please think of something more original and informative.... thank you.

whatcha think eh? eh?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

Yes, help is used to often in this- homework?!?!? HELP!!HELP!!! ALGEBRA!!! HELP!!!

4. May 16, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What if these peopel are being murdered and are simply asking for help :P

5. May 16, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

Well they'll just die because of people like gale. SCIENCE HOMEWORK!?! HELP!!AGAIN!!! (and noibody ever helped with my algebra. I had to do it myself.) :grumpy:

6. May 16, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I dont seem to get much help even with descriptive titles. I think im being shunned from the forum :D

7. May 16, 2005 #6
    ya... thats the master plan... we're all just ignoring you...
    at any rate, in the "helpers" defense... usually they're noobs... i guess they just don't know better... usually they get lots of views too, cause no one's sure what they're talking about, so they check it out and see.... i always do that at least, and half the time its stuff i have no idea about...

8. May 16, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My auntie used to keep peacocks. They always used to sound like they were shouting "Help!".

9. May 16, 2005 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I used to hang out in a computer tech help chat room (yes, I'm that nerdy) and it was funny how many people would ask if they could ask a question. Oh, did I ever torture them....

10. May 16, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

With you around, they probably were.

11. May 16, 2005 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't believe I set myself up for that one.

12. May 16, 2005 #11

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I don't know which questions you've been asking, but it's probably because helpers get sick of answering the same questions over and over. I used to hang out in the homework forum all the time, but people kept asking the same questions, showed no attempt to solve the problem, and have obviously never used the search function. For the questions that are actually interesting and require a bit of help, I usually can't help because the question is beyond what I know.
    I don't know how the other people around here feel, but I'll gladly help somebody if they clearly show they've attempted the problem, and have explained where the trouble is. Just posting a bunch of multiple choice questions with your guesses doesn't get me too eager to help.

13. May 16, 2005 #12
    Funny, that's what the peacock said. :tongue2:

14. May 16, 2005 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I might go start a bunch of threads in the physics forum, and call them all "Physics." Maybe a few in the astronomy forum, too, all called "Astronomy."

- Warren

15. May 16, 2005 #14

ShawnD

Science Advisor

No you got it all wrong. You're supposed to go to the astronomy forum and make a thread called "Psychology"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?