1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helping in plotting a graph

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    How can I plot the graph for this:

a+b=c
    and
    [tex]b^{2}-4ac>0[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Graph

What do you mean by a graph for that? I know how to graph functions of one or two variables. I see two equations, but not functions there. If you mean
    c= f(a, b)= a+ b, then the graph is a plane containing the points (0, 0, 0), (1, 0, 1), and (0, 1, 1).

The graph of c= b2/4a is a much more complicated surface- it is basically as hyperboloid. The graph of all (a, b, c) such that b2- 4ac> 0 is the graph of all (a, b, c) such that c< b2/4a and consists of the points below the hyperboloid surface.

I doubt that's what you mean but I can't think what else the "graph" of two equations in 3 parameters could mean.

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3

Actually the question is something of this sort:
    If one of the angles of a triangle is 90 degree. The other angles be x and y.
    If tan (x/2) and tan (y/2) be the roots of tghe equation:
    ax^{2}+bx+c=0
    find a relation between.
    definately a+b=c
    and discriminant>0
    I wantd to plot the graphy of this out of curiosity :smile: and i ont understand a word you say:yuck:

5. Sep 1, 2008 #4

The reason you don't understand a single thing Halls said is bc you were too lazy to type up enough information for anybody to help you. If you want help, don't be lazy and use spellcheck.

6. Sep 1, 2008 #5

I am sorry for that. My mother tongue ain't english but i'll try to do it again without the typo:
    Actually the question is something of this sort:
    If one of the angles of a triangle is 90 degree. The other angles be x and y.
    If tan (x/2) and tan (y/2) be the roots of the equation:
    [tex]ax^{2}+bx+c=0[/tex]
    find a relation between a,b,c.
    definately a+b=c
    and [tex]b^{2}-4ac>0[/tex]
    I wanted to plot the graph of this situation. Help me please~

I know that Halls was taking it to the #3 dimension. And thats what I dont want. I havent studied complex coordinate geomtry as yet.

7. Sep 1, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

You want a graph of what again? What variables are used for the x and y axis? Halls didn't answer your question because you didn't state it properly.

8. Sep 1, 2008 #7

No no, actually there are 3 parameters now, which vary and two conditions which they satisfy. I just want to know whether, the solution set of a,b,c can b represented graphically as was in the case such as y=x-3???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?