Avoiding "Special" People: A Rant

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know. Its just that girls are more sensitive than boys and should be given more leeway.In summary, the person is complaining about how some people (girls) are too sensitive and don't understand when they need to stop bothering the speaker.
rootX
[rant #1]
I often make mistake of helping 'x' category people who then think they have privilege to disturb me any time of day and get from me whatever they want without considering/recognizing my needs. :grumpy:
(I don't ask much but good people just help me without me telling them :shy:)

Do they consider themselves so special that they fail to recognize other needs?

I just try to avoid them. They are as useless as garbage!
(I just made a mistake of helping two of them and had 5-6 more requests in less than 2 days!
[/rant]

Physics news on Phys.org
rootX said:
I often make mistake of helping 'x' category people...

Are we talking about members of the 'girl' category? :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Are we talking about members of the 'girl' category? :smile:

On usual basis, I interact with only ~2 girls
My class has only 3-4 girls (Either they don't look like girls or are weird)
I just recognized that those 2 also come under x :rofl:

But my best friend who is a girl and not in my college doesn't come under the set x:approve:

Hold on - I need to draw a Venn diagram.

Be nice, but not too nice. Otherwise, people will walk all over you.

You're lucky. Last semester, I met this guy and made the mistake of giving my cellphone contact number to him. Over the next month or so he called me at least twice almost everyday, often at ungodly times like 12am, 1am for stupid homework help. That guy was so lazy he didn't even bother doing his homework or sometimes attend lectures or labs. Somehow he thought he could always ask me if he didn't understand as though I were his private tutor. I got so sick of his calls I started ignoring them and switching my cellphone off whenever he tries to contact me. Over time he started to get the hint, but still persisted.

When the semester ended he left me alone without contacting me for 3 whole months during the vacation. Unfortunately this practice resumed again when the new semester started. Again I ignored his calls and there was once I told him rather irritatedly that I was busy. From then on, he hasn't contacted me since.

What a leech.

Defennder said:
Over time he started to get the hint
You know... you could have actually said something...

Hurkyl said:

That's what I was thinking! If someone called me at midnight to ask about homework, that would have been the first, last and only time that happened because I'd have given them an earful about how obnoxious they were to call at that hour! Then again, I grew up in a generation where you don't call ANYONE after 10 PM unless they've explicitly told you that you can or should, or someone is in the hospital and dying (if they're already dead, it can wait until morning).

Moonbear said:
That's what I was thinking! If someone called me at midnight to ask about homework, that would have been the first, last and only time that happened because I'd have given them an earful about how obnoxious they were to call at that hour! Then again, I grew up in a generation where you don't call ANYONE after 10 PM unless they've explicitly told you that you can or should, or someone is in the hospital and dying (if they're already dead, it can wait until morning).

For you and me, its don't call BEFORE 10 AM! Strike that, don't call BEFORE 12! (I woke up today at 6:00 pm, I was up all night doing something).

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:

Moonbear said:
Anyway Cyrus is right. Don't be too nice to jerks. They'll walk all over you if they can, for free.

Moonbear said:

I don't know anybody that sleeps before 1 am...

It's amazing how quickly times change.

EDIT: I'm with Cyrus...calling before noon is far ruder than calling at midnight. :)

There are the individuals and their interests not the individual and the others' interests.

Moonbear said:
Then again, I grew up in a generation where you don't call ANYONE after 10 PM unless they've explicitly told you that you can or should, or someone is in the hospital and dying (if they're already dead, it can wait until morning).

Isn't that the truth! The phone rings after 10:30 p.m. and my heart pounds in my chest.

SticksandStones said:

It's amazing how quickly times change.

EDIT: I'm with Cyrus...calling before noon is far ruder than calling at midnight. :)

Weirdly, SticksandStones, I'm guessing you'll find out that it's not times that change but your age that changes. When I was in my teens and 20's, even early 30's, phone calls at 1 a.m. meant nothing. Everyone was still up, wandering around, doing stuff. Calling in the prior to noon was beyond rude.

And then you get older. And you want to go to bed at night, because you have to get up early in the morning, and you're beat. You aren't up carrying on until all hours, so late evening phone calls become a sleep disturbance. And then it becomes an unwritten rule that you simply don't phone after 10 unless it's an emergency. Mark my words; it'll happen to you too.

Defennder said:
Anyway Cyrus is right. Don't be too nice to jerks. They'll walk all over you if they can, for free.

Yep, I agree.

But, I never give my phone number to jerks :approve:.

Sometimes, I wonder if they are laughing at my back. They know that they are showing up only when they need help ...

Moonbear said:

I'm the same way. I don't call anyone before 10am or after 10pm. Even at my student house, I go into quiet mode after 10pm and I won't make too much noise before 9am. But if someone complains that I make too much noise at 9:30am, I ignore them. You should be up at that hour, if not, expect the consequences of people being up, alive and living at 9:30am. It's a respectful hour.

My one roommate has no set sleep time, or wake time. He runs exclusively on Coffee, Tylenol, Kraft Diner, and Pizza Pockets. It's very strange.

SticksandStones said:

Those of us who have to be awake early enough to not just show up for 8 AM classes, but teach them, start going to bed a lot earlier than we used to. :grumpy: Even when I'm awake late at night, it's because I'm trying to get something done or trying to fall asleep unsuccessfully. The last thing I'm interested in at that hour is the phone ringing or having a conversation.

1. Why do we need to avoid "special" people?

The term "special" people is often used to refer to individuals with disabilities or mental illnesses. Avoiding these people perpetuates harmful stereotypes and discrimination. Instead, we should strive for inclusivity and understanding.

2. How can we recognize "special" people?

"Special" people are not easily identifiable and can come from all walks of life. It is important to remember that everyone is unique and has their own struggles. Instead of labeling someone as "special", try getting to know them as an individual.

3. Is avoiding "special" people considered discrimination?

Avoiding or discriminating against individuals based on their disability or mental illness is a form of discrimination. It is important to treat all people with respect and dignity, regardless of their differences.

4. What are some ways to be more inclusive and accepting of "special" people?

One way to be more inclusive is to educate ourselves about different disabilities and mental illnesses. This can help us understand and empathize with others. Additionally, we can create a welcoming and accessible environment for all individuals.

5. How can we combat negative attitudes towards "special" people?

Challenging negative attitudes and stereotypes is an important step in combating discrimination. This can be done by speaking out against discrimination, promoting inclusivity, and educating others about the harmful effects of labeling and avoiding people with disabilities or mental illnesses.