Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helping jerks!

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    [rant #1]
    I often make mistake of helping 'x' category people who then think they have privilege to disturb me any time of day and get from me whatever they want without considering/recognizing my needs. :grumpy:
    (I don't ask much but good people just help me without me telling them :shy:)

Do they consider themselves so special that they fail to recognize other needs?

I just try to avoid them. They are as useless as garbage!
    (I just made a mistake of helping two of them and had 5-6 more requests in less than 2 days!
    [/rant]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are we talking about members of the 'girl' category? :smile:

4. Sep 20, 2008 #3
    On usual basis, I interact with only ~2 girls
    My class has only 3-4 girls (Either they don't look like girls or are weird)
    I just recognized that those 2 also come under x :rofl:

But my best friend who is a girl and not in my college doesn't come under the set x:approve:

5. Sep 20, 2008 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hold on - I need to draw a Venn diagram.

6. Sep 20, 2008 #5
    Be nice, but not too nice. Otherwise, people will walk all over you.

7. Sep 20, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

You're lucky. Last semester, I met this guy and made the mistake of giving my cellphone contact number to him. Over the next month or so he called me at least twice almost everyday, often at ungodly times like 12am, 1am for stupid homework help. That guy was so lazy he didn't even bother doing his homework or sometimes attend lectures or labs. Somehow he thought he could always ask me if he didn't understand as though I were his private tutor. I got so sick of his calls I started ignoring them and switching my cellphone off whenever he tries to contact me. Over time he started to get the hint, but still persisted.

When the semester ended he left me alone without contacting me for 3 whole months during the vacation. Unfortunately this practice resumed again when the new semester started. Again I ignored his calls and there was once I told him rather irritatedly that I was busy. From then on, he hasn't contacted me since.

What a leech.

8. Sep 20, 2008 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know... you could have actually said something....

9. Sep 20, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I was thinking! If someone called me at midnight to ask about homework, that would have been the first, last and only time that happened because I'd have given them an earful about how obnoxious they were to call at that hour! Then again, I grew up in a generation where you don't call ANYONE after 10 PM unless they've explicitly told you that you can or should, or someone is in the hospital and dying (if they're already dead, it can wait until morning).

10. Sep 20, 2008 #9
    For you and me, its dont call BEFORE 10 AM! Strike that, dont call BEFORE 12! (I woke up today at 6:00 pm, I was up all night doing something).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  11. Sep 20, 2008 #10

Defennder

Homework Helper

Anyway Cyrus is right. Don't be too nice to jerks. They'll walk all over you if they can, for free.

12. Sep 21, 2008 #11
    I don't know anybody that sleeps before 1 am...

It's amazing how quickly times change.

EDIT: I'm with Cyrus...calling before noon is far ruder than calling at midnight. :)

13. Sep 21, 2008 #12
    There are the individuals and their interests not the individual and the others' interests.

14. Sep 21, 2008 #13
    Isn't that the truth! The phone rings after 10:30 p.m. and my heart pounds in my chest.

Weirdly, SticksandStones, I'm guessing you'll find out that it's not times that change but your age that changes. When I was in my teens and 20's, even early 30's, phone calls at 1 a.m. meant nothing. Everyone was still up, wandering around, doing stuff. Calling in the prior to noon was beyond rude.

And then you get older. And you want to go to bed at night, because you have to get up early in the morning, and you're beat. You aren't up carrying on until all hours, so late evening phone calls become a sleep disturbance. And then it becomes an unwritten rule that you simply don't phone after 10 unless it's an emergency. Mark my words; it'll happen to you too.

15. Sep 21, 2008 #14
    Yep, I agree.

But, I never give my phone number to jerks :approve:.

Sometimes, I wonder if they are laughing at my back. They know that they are showing up only when they need help ...

16. Sep 21, 2008 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm the same way. I don't call anyone before 10am or after 10pm. Even at my student house, I go into quiet mode after 10pm and I won't make too much noise before 9am. But if someone complains that I make too much noise at 9:30am, I ignore them. You should be up at that hour, if not, expect the consequences of people being up, alive and living at 9:30am. It's a respectful hour.

My one roommate has no set sleep time, or wake time. He runs exclusively on Coffee, Tylenol, Kraft Diner, and Pizza Pockets. It's very strange.

17. Sep 21, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those of us who have to be awake early enough to not just show up for 8 AM classes, but teach them, start going to bed a lot earlier than we used to. :grumpy: Even when I'm awake late at night, it's because I'm trying to get something done or trying to fall asleep unsuccessfully. The last thing I'm interested in at that hour is the phone ringing or having a conversation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?