Helping on how to do find solution to diff equation

• Thread starter Pepsi24chevy
  • Start date
In summary, To find the values of k for which y=x^2+k is a solution to the differential equation 2y-xy'=10, compute y' from the given expression for y(x), insert the given expressions for y and y' into the differential equation, and determine the value(s) of "k" so that the left-hand side of the equation equals 10. The derivative of a constant is 0.
Pepsi24chevy
Hey guys, the problem reads: Find the values of k for which y=x^2+k i sa solution to the differenital equation: 2y-xy`= 10. Anyways I am confused on how to set this up. DO i keep taking the derivative of the dif equation and plugging is back into the first one or what. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Compute y' from your given expression for y(x)
2) Insert the given expressions for y and y' into the expression making the left-hand side of the differential equation.
3) Determine the value(s) of "k" so that what you got in 2) equals 10.

Thanks. So i got y`= 2x+1 so then i plug then info i have into the differential equation so that i get 2(x^2+1) - x(2x+1) = 10. Now i am still not quit sure how to determine K. Also is the deriviative of the K constant 1?

the derivative of a constant is 0

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict the behavior of systems.

2. How can I solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integral transforms. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and algebra to solve differential equations.

3. What are the applications of solving differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems, analyze data, and make predictions about future outcomes.

4. Can I use software to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve differential equations. These programs use numerical methods to approximate solutions and can handle more complex equations that may be difficult to solve by hand.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differential equations?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving differential equations. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of calculus and algebra. Working on a variety of problems and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and peers can also aid in improving your skills.