1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helping socierty

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    hello i have just been recieved a science task in which i have to conduct studies in which it could help society (e.g. conduct test between foods to see which foods contain the more fats, salts etc... this can help society by people who have hypertension etc...)

could you please help in which can be simple but a very effective project in which i can do and use for this task...

Thank You very much...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2
    have a test of tap water to see the ions it contains..... o_O

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    You should find that city water contains a lot of chlorine. I wonder how this compares to the concentration of chlorine used in swimming pools. With Americans using so many pharmaceuticals than every before and extinguishing these chemicals in their wastes, you could determine if any of these are being inputted back into our water supplies and their concentrations. I would guess that this would be more prevalent around cities.

5. Jul 25, 2008 #4
    and how would this help the society?

6. Jul 26, 2008 #5
    Wouldn't you want to know what was in your drinking water and the possible detrimental health effects that may occur due to long exposure? What can consumers do to mitigate these effects (e.g. install reverse osmosis/filtration systems) if they choose? I believe that the EPA only did studies on about 15% of the pharmaceuticals that may get recycled into our water supplies.

7. Jul 29, 2008 #6
    yea i would love to know what is in my drinking water....

or maybe i could test tap water and possibly compare it to filtrated water determining the differences??

8. Jul 29, 2008 #7
    Yes, that seems feasible. How good are those Brita water-filters? Are they worth the price and cost to replace filters monthly, or should I just spend the extra money to buy the filtration systems that connect directly to the tap?

9. Jul 30, 2008 #8
    what could i do to test the waters would i have to test firstly their ph levels and then determine if that level is safe of drinking water?

10. Jul 30, 2008 #9
    Sure, you could test pH. Water treatment plants must meet certain regulations and likely already test pH for consumer safety. Still, pH would likely vary across the different water samples, but I don't know how sensitive your measurements would have to be. Research it on the internet; there is a lot of info about water-testing methods and even other water tests for possible study.

11. Aug 4, 2008 #10
    i have been doing some researching and i was informed that i would need to test the water for lead traces...

i was wondering how i can conduct the test of looking for lead traces....

thank you

12. Aug 4, 2008 #11
    and if you know any other contaminants i can test for it would be very helpful...

thank you very much...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  13. Aug 5, 2008 #12
    I see that home-testing kits for lead traces are sold in many places, but I don't know anything of their overall quality. Contact your local health department or water utility company and tell them you are doing a school project. They should have some good info...hopefully. =)

14. Aug 6, 2008 #13
    ok cool thank you

15. Aug 6, 2008 #14
    lol.

actually i know a swimming pool store that tests water for chlorine ect...

hope they can test it for me =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?