Help Society: Conduct Tests for Health Benefits

• Thread starter doc.madani
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, you could contact a pool store. They may be able to test water for chlorine and other contaminants.
doc.madani
hello i have just been received a science task in which i have to conduct studies in which it could help society (e.g. conduct test between foods to see which foods contain the more fats, salts etc... this can help society by people who have hypertension etc...)

could you please help in which can be simple but a very effective project in which i can do and use for this task...

Thank You very much...

Physics news on Phys.org
have a test of tap water to see the ions it contains... o_O

Kushal said:
have a test of tap water to see the ions it contains... o_O

You should find that city water contains a lot of chlorine. I wonder how this compares to the concentration of chlorine used in swimming pools. With Americans using so many pharmaceuticals than every before and extinguishing these chemicals in their wastes, you could determine if any of these are being inputted back into our water supplies and their concentrations. I would guess that this would be more prevalent around cities.

and how would this help the society?

Wouldn't you want to know what was in your drinking water and the possible detrimental health effects that may occur due to long exposure? What can consumers do to mitigate these effects (e.g. install reverse osmosis/filtration systems) if they choose? I believe that the EPA only did studies on about 15% of the pharmaceuticals that may get recycled into our water supplies.

yea i would love to know what is in my drinking water...

or maybe i could test tap water and possibly compare it to filtrated water determining the differences??

Yes, that seems feasible. How good are those Brita water-filters? Are they worth the price and cost to replace filters monthly, or should I just spend the extra money to buy the filtration systems that connect directly to the tap?

what could i do to test the waters would i have to test firstly their ph levels and then determine if that level is safe of drinking water?

doc.madani said:
what could i do to test the waters would i have to test firstly their ph levels and then determine if that level is safe of drinking water?

Sure, you could test pH. Water treatment plants must meet certain regulations and likely already test pH for consumer safety. Still, pH would likely vary across the different water samples, but I don't know how sensitive your measurements would have to be. Research it on the internet; there is a lot of info about water-testing methods and even other water tests for possible study.

i have been doing some researching and i was informed that i would need to test the water for lead traces...

i was wondering how i can conduct the test of looking for lead traces...

thank you

and if you know any other contaminants i can test for it would be very helpful...thank you very much...

Last edited:
doc.madani said:
i was wondering how i can conduct the test of looking for lead traces...

I see that home-testing kits for lead traces are sold in many places, but I don't know anything of their overall quality. Contact your local health department or water utility company and tell them you are doing a school project. They should have some good info...hopefully. =)

ok cool thank you

lol.

actually i know a swimming pool store that tests water for chlorine ect...

hope they can test it for me =)

1. What is the purpose of conducting tests for health benefits?

The purpose of conducting tests for health benefits is to gather scientific evidence to support the claims of a certain treatment or intervention. These tests are essential in determining the safety and effectiveness of a health product or service.

2. Who can participate in these health benefit tests?

Depending on the specific test, participants can vary. Some tests may require individuals with a specific health condition, while others may be open to anyone who meets the eligibility criteria set by the researchers. It is important for participants to carefully read and understand the requirements before participating in any health benefit test.

3. How are the risks associated with these tests managed?

Prior to conducting any health benefit test, researchers must undergo a thorough ethical review process to ensure that all potential risks are identified and managed. Participants are also required to provide informed consent, which includes a detailed explanation of the potential risks involved in the test. Researchers are responsible for closely monitoring the participants throughout the test to ensure their safety.

4. What happens to the data collected during these tests?

All data collected during health benefit tests are kept confidential and are only accessible to the researchers involved in the study. The data is used to analyze the results and draw conclusions about the effectiveness of the treatment or intervention being tested. In some cases, the data may also be shared with regulatory bodies for approval and further research.

5. How do these health benefit tests contribute to society?

Conducting health benefit tests provides valuable information that can improve the overall health and well-being of society. The results of these tests help to inform healthcare practices and policies, leading to better treatments and interventions for various health conditions. This ultimately benefits individuals, communities, and society as a whole.