1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helplessly Confused

1. Sep 9, 2004 #1
    Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 48 km trip in the following two situations. Assume that at each station the train accelerates at a rate of 2.0 m/s2 until it reaches 50 km/h, then stays at this speed until its brakes are applied for arrival at the next station, at which time it decelerates at -3.0 m/s2. Assume it stops at each intermediate station for 20 s.

(a) The stations at which the trains must stop are 0.60 km apart.

I'm confused...
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

This is a step by step problem. What do you know? do you know constant acceleration equations?
  4. Sep 9, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

physicsss, if you try and start on the problem, we can guide you further. If you don't tell us what you've tried or what ideas you have, we really can't help you.
  5. Sep 10, 2004 #4
    I'd start with sketches dividing the trip up into accelerating, constant and deccelerating parts. My sketch would look kind of like a number line, and I'd write in what was given and what I could find out about each part.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?