1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help:Why flat band voltage?

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In mos capacitor, energy band will bend because of different work function between M&S.

But Why apply a "flat band voltage" to flat the bent band? what's the purpose?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been looking for the answer from many books, and can't find. I just wana know why.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Hi I don't think there may be any "purpose" in doing so. It's just a concept we understand the MOS cap with. Some notes and textbooks may start off by considering an ideal case of a MOS cap where the bands are originally flat and then develop the concepts and equations from there. So it is inevitable that sooner or later they would have to introduce a "flat band voltage" concept to account for the case whereby the MOS cap does not originally start off with band level which is the same throughout.

It's just like in intro freshman physics of mechanics, we start off by assuming zero friction to simplify the setup. Only afterwords, once the basic concepts have been taught, would factors like friction and drag come into play.

4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
    Thank Defennder very much! I got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?