Is Constant Temperature Required in the Proof of Helmholtz Free Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for the inequality dw <= -dA for isothermal work, and where the assumption of constant temperature is necessary. It is argued that the result can be obtained without assuming constant temperature, as long as the first law of thermodynamics and the general fact that dQ <= TdS are used. However, it is pointed out that in general, dA =dU -dTS, and this only reduces to dA=dU-TdS if T is constant.
Physics news on Phys.org
Isothermal work = T is constant!

yes, but you could get the equation ##dw \leq-dA## without assuming T=constant anywhere?

I mean, from what I can see, all they do is use the 1st law of thermodynamics and the general fact that ##dQ \leq TdS##. So shouldn't the result they get, ie ##dw \leq-dA##, apply regardless if T is constant or not during the whole process?

I also don't see why constant temperature should be necessary.

Nikitin said:
yes, but you could get the equation ##dw \leq-dA## without assuming T=constant anywhere?

I mean, from what I can see, all they do is use the 1st law of thermodynamics and the general fact that ##dQ \leq TdS##. So shouldn't the result they get, ie ##dw \leq-dA##, apply regardless if T is constant or not during the whole process?

Well, the differential equality for Helmholtz free energy is:

[itex]dA = -S dT -p dV = -S dT - dW[/itex]

It seems to me that if [itex]T[/itex] is not constant, then the term [itex]-S dT[/itex] could be either positive or negative, depending on whether the temperature is increasing or decreasing.

Likes 1 person
stevendaryl said:
Well, the differential equality for Helmholtz free energy is:

[itex]dA = -S dT -p dV = -S dT - dW[/itex]

It seems to me that if [itex]T[/itex] is not constant, then the term [itex]-S dT[/itex] could be either positive or negative, depending on whether the temperature is increasing or decreasing.

You are right. The point is that in general, dA =dU -dTS. This only reduces to dA=dU-TdS if T is constant.

Likes 1 person
Ahh, but of course. thank you.

1. What is Hemholtz free energy?

Hemholtz free energy, also known as Helmholtz energy, is a thermodynamic potential that measures the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from a thermodynamic system at a constant temperature and volume.

2. How is Hemholtz free energy different from Gibbs free energy?

Hemholtz free energy is defined for systems at constant volume, while Gibbs free energy is defined for systems at constant pressure. Additionally, Hemholtz free energy takes into account the internal energy of a system, while Gibbs free energy accounts for both internal energy and the energy associated with the system's pressure-volume work.

3. What is the significance of Hemholtz free energy in thermodynamics?

Hemholtz free energy allows us to determine the maximum amount of useful work that can be obtained from a thermodynamic system, and it is closely related to the system's entropy. It is also useful in predicting the spontaneity of a process and understanding the equilibrium state of a system.

4. How is Hemholtz free energy related to the partition function?

The partition function, which is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, is related to the Hemholtz free energy through the equation F = -kT ln(Z), where F is the free energy, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, and Z is the partition function.

5. How can Hemholtz free energy be experimentally determined?

Hemholtz free energy cannot be directly measured, but it can be calculated using thermodynamic equations and experimental data such as heat capacities and enthalpies. It can also be estimated using statistical mechanics methods such as Monte Carlo simulations.