1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hemisphere cut by cylinder

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the area of the portion of the cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 2x that lies inside the hemisphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4, z [tex]\geq[/tex] 0. Hint: Project onto the xz-plane.

2. Relevant equations

I want to use the formula for surface area

[tex]\int\int\frac{|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f\bullet\vec{p}|}dA[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm going to consider only the surface in the first octant (for reasons of symmetry). I get

[tex]\frac{|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f\bullet\vec{p}|} = \frac{1}{y}[/tex]

hence:

[tex]\int\int\frac{|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f\bullet\vec{p}|}dA = \int\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{2x-x^2}}dzdx[/tex]

and using

sqrt(4-x^2) and 0 as limits of integration for z

and 2 and 0 as limits of integration for x, I get

[tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{2+x}{x}}dx[/tex]

(with 2 and 0 as limits of integration for x)

The problem is that this integral doesn't evaluate to 4, which I know is the correct answer (I do get this result by evaluating the integral

[tex]\int h ds[/tex]

where h is the altitude of the cylinder and ds is the element of arc length on the circle x^2 + y^2 = 2x in the xy-plane)

Could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2
    I've just realized that there is a mistake in my limits of integration for z.

Apart from 0, the other limit is sqrt(4 - (x^2 + y^2)), not sqrt(4 - x^2), and, since this z also belongs to the cylinder, z = sqrt(4 - 2x) and this leads to the correct result, i.e. 4.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook