1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hemodynamics Homework Help, Works shown please help!

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    Model the arterial tree as a simple branching network in which each junction is composed of a parent vessel and daughter vessels, each having a diameter related to the parent's via the cube law (D_n-1)^3= (D_n*a)^3 + (D_n*b)^3 which is approx. equal to 2*(D_n)^3

a.) Show that D_n/D_0= 2^(-n/3)

b.) Show that 35 generations are required to model the arterial tree from aorta (D_0=2.6 cm) to the capillaries (D_34=10 um)

c.) Derive a formula for the mean transit time (ie vessel length divded by mean velociity) for an individual vessel. Based on this formula, how long does the model suggest it would take for blood to go from the aorta to the capillaries?

My work:

a.) since

(D_n-1)^3 is approximately equal to 2*(D_n)^3

(D_n-1/D_n)^3= 2

therefore i Dn/Do= 2^(-n/3)

I'm not sure

i need help with the other questions, i'm confused how use this equation to solve the problem?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'd guess that you just plug in n=34, n=35, n=36 into the equation, and show that you need at least n=35 in order to get the large ratio in vessel sizes that they give in the question.
  4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    How do you prove part a.) properly though, and for part c.) how do u derive the mean transit time equation from the information?

please help
  5. Sep 28, 2010 #4

What are a and b in the original equation? Are they somehow constrained to be close to 1 each, and that's why the simplified approximation works?

For the proof, I'd try doing something like this...

[tex]{D_{n-1}}^3 = 2 {D_n}^3[/tex]

[tex]{D_0}^3 = 2 {D_1}^3[/tex]

[tex]{D_1}^3 = 2 {D_2}^3[/tex]

[tex]{D_2}^3 = 2 {D_3}^3[/tex]

etc., So

[tex]{D_0}^3 = 2 {D_1}^3 = 2^2 {D_2}^3 = 2^3 {D_3}^3 = ... = 2^n {D_n}^3[/tex]

The rest of the proof should follow. Is that what you mean?

And what does your text say about flow rate equations. There must be more information that you use to solve that part?
  6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    How about part b.)

Do you simply

use, D_0= 2.6 cm

D(34)= 10 um

and substitute

(D_0)^3 / (2^34)= 10 um

How do you prove it?

I'm sort of confused?
  7. Sep 29, 2010 #6

I'd said:

So what is the ratio of the 2.6cm and 10um? What is the ratio of the following?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook