Henderson Hasselbach to absorbance derivation

In summary, to derive the equation pH = pKa + log([A-Aa]/[Ab-A]) from the given equation pH = pKa + log([In-]/[HIn]), you can use Beer's law and follow these steps: 1) Write out the Beer's law equations for the acidic and basic forms at the given wavelength, 2) Substitute these equations into the equation for A, 3) Rearrange to get [In-]/[HIn] on one side, 4) Substitute into the given equation, and 5) Simplify using the molar absorptivities for the basic form at λb.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Did a lab where I had to determine the Ka value of an indicator using spectrophotometry.

This is a question I need to answer in my lab report:

Derive the equation

pH = pKa + log([A-Aa]/[Ab-A])

from the equation

pH = pKa + log( [In-]/[HIn])

using Beer's law.

A: measured absorbance at λb at specified pH
Aa: absorbance of acidic form at λb
Ab: absorbance of basic form at λb
λb: wavelength of maximum absorbance for basic form

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A1 = ε1ab[HIn] + ε1bb[In-]
A2 = ε2ab[HIn] + ε2bb[In-]

Aa = εab[HIN]
Ab = εbb[IN-]

Ab/Aa = εbb[IN-] / εab[HIN]

Rearrange:

[In-] / [HIn] = εaAb / εbAa

A = Aa+Ab

so

[In-] / [HIn] = εa(A-Aa) / εb(A-Ab)

I'm stuck. I have been working on this for hours and cannot figure out how to get to the answer. Mainly, I just don't know how to get the molar absorbtivities to help me because they are all different. I'm so confused. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I also tried solving using the first two equations:

A1 = ε1ab[HIn] + ε1bb[In-]
A2 = ε2ab[HIn] + ε2bb[In-]

which led me to

[In-] / [HIn] = (A1ε2a-A2ε1a ) / (A2ε1b - A1ε2b)

which doesn't help me either because I can't see how to get rid of the molar absorbtivities.

HELP

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand that you are struggling with deriving the equation pH = pKa + log([A-Aa]/[Ab-A]) from the given equation pH = pKa + log([In-]/[HIn]) using Beer's law. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to approach this problem:

1. Start by writing out the Beer's law equation for the acidic form of the indicator at the given wavelength (λb). This will give you: Aa = εab[HIn]

2. Next, write out the Beer's law equation for the basic form of the indicator at the same wavelength (λb). This will give you: Ab = εbb[In-]

3. Since the absorbance (A) at λb is the sum of the absorbance of the acidic and basic forms, you can write the equation A = Aa+Ab.

4. Substitute the equations from steps 1 and 2 into the equation from step 3. This will give you: A = εab[HIn] + εbb[In-]

5. Rearrange this equation to get [In-]/[HIn] on one side and everything else on the other side. This will give you: [In-]/[HIn] = (A-εab[HIn]) / εbb

6. Now, use the given equation pH = pKa + log([In-]/[HIn]) and substitute the expression from step 5 for [In-]/[HIn]. This will give you: pH = pKa + log((A-εab[HIn]) / εbb)

7. Finally, use the molar absorptivities (εab and εbb) for the basic form of the indicator at λb to simplify the equation. This will give you: pH = pKa + log(([A-Aa] / [Ab-A]))

I hope this helps you in deriving the required equation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your lab report!

What is the Henderson Hasselbach equation?

The Henderson Hasselbach equation is a mathematical relationship that describes the pH of a solution in terms of its acid dissociation constant (Ka) and the concentrations of its acid and conjugate base. It is often used to calculate the pH of buffer solutions.

Can the Henderson Hasselbach equation be used for strong acids and bases?

No, the Henderson Hasselbach equation can only be used for weak acids and their conjugate bases. Strong acids and bases completely dissociate in solution, so their concentrations cannot be accurately measured.

How is the Henderson Hasselbach equation derived?

The Henderson Hasselbach equation is derived from the equilibrium constant expression for the dissociation of a weak acid (Ka) and the equation for the acidity constant (pKa = -log Ka). By rearranging these equations and taking the negative logarithm, the Henderson Hasselbach equation is obtained.

What is the relationship between the Henderson Hasselbach equation and absorbance?

The Henderson Hasselbach equation can be used to calculate the absorbance of a solution at a specific wavelength. This is because the concentration of the acid and conjugate base in a solution can affect its absorbance, and the Henderson Hasselbach equation relates these concentrations to the pH of the solution.

Can the Henderson Hasselbach equation be applied to biological systems?

Yes, the Henderson Hasselbach equation is often used in biological and biochemical research to study the pH of solutions within living organisms. It is also used to understand the acid-base balance in the human body.