What defines a better guitarist: Hendrix vs. technical proficiency?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
In summary: I can see how someone who started playing later might idolize someone like Hendrix who had such an impact so early in his career.
Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome. I'd like an mp3 of that too.

That is sweet.

Its on every five minutes on the BBC channels. Its driving me nuts.

Kurdt said:
Its on every five minutes on the BBC channels. Its driving me nuts.

I've managed to miss it so far..

Sorry! I like Hendrix too much to listen to that perversion. As a guitarist who took up electric guitar before the emergence of The JH Experience, I have a pretty good appreciation for the revolution that he brought to rock. When he died, Clapton started playing Strats - not a coincidence...

I agree with Turbo-1 on this one. This is so weak. Just because you can does not mean you should.

I think it's good, do you think it will raise interest in that particular programme? I just think it is a clever twist on a famous song.

somehow, i just didnt get that.

turbo-1 said:
Sorry! I like Hendrix too much to listen to that perversion. As a guitarist who took up electric guitar before the emergence of The JH Experience, I have a pretty good appreciation for the revolution that he brought to rock. When he died, Clapton started playing Strats - not a coincidence...

I have a question for you, since you started playing before JH hit the scene. Whenever I see guitar magazines list "best guitarist", obviously JH is their #1. Do you think this is true?

I see a lot of guitarists these days and in the past (but after JH) who have mastered control of their instrument to a Godly level. JH completely innovated the guitar, but would you still call him the best guitarist?

Poop-Loops, I don't think that anyone in any kind of artistic endeavour can be considered 'the best'. It's too subjective. Could you say that Ken Macklin is a better painter than Matisse, because his art is photo-realistic, or that Escher was better because of his design brilliance?

I guess that's sort of my point.

Hendrix completely innovated the electric guitar, but he couldn't do something like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Km_iENRcVAk (wait until about 1:48)

So I guess my problem is they really aren't defining "better", but still worshiping Hendrix like a God, even though he didn't have a long career.

Poop-Loops said:
I have a question for you, since you started playing before JH hit the scene. Whenever I see guitar magazines list "best guitarist", obviously JH is their #1. Do you think this is true?

I see a lot of guitarists these days and in the past (but after JH) who have mastered control of their instrument to a Godly level. JH completely innovated the guitar, but would you still call him the best guitarist?
As Danger said, there can be no "best", but Hendrix was VERY influential in '60's rock. Prior to him, I'd have to say that the most influential electric guitarist was T-Bone Walker. He invented a whole new style of music that influenced rock, rockabilly, and blues artists, and I have a bunch of his recordings on CD. Even today, guitarists like Kid Ramos (former lead guitarist of the Fabulous Thunderbirds) are mining Walker's style.

Contemporary guitarists who are very hot include Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Robben Ford, Adrian Legg, Mark Knopfler...the list is a long one. In the early 70's, an interviewer for a guitar mag asked Jimmy Page who his favorite guitarist was, and his top pick was Donald Roeser, guitarist in the Blue Oyster Cult. I saw them in the first show of their first tour, and I've got to say that Page wasn't far off the mark. Listen to "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" - the lead still blows me away.

I started playing when electric guitar strings were made of nickel wrapped over steel cores, and they were much heavier than most people would consider using today. I still use nickel-wound strings with wound G-strings. When I was running the blues jams at a local tavern years back, some guys would ask to borrow one of my guitars for a song or two. Usually, they never asked again. It takes some hand strength to bend notes on heavy strings, and few people have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poop-Loops said:
I guess that's sort of my point.

Hendrix completely innovated the electric guitar, but he couldn't do something like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Km_iENRcVAk (wait until about 1:48)

So I guess my problem is they really aren't defining "better", but still worshiping Hendrix like a God, even though he didn't have a long career.
Well there are lots of people who can shred like that, including Vai, Satriani, and Malmsteen. Technical proficiency does not necessarily translate to listenable music though. For another take on "favorites", BB King acknowledges his debt to the greats (like T-Bone Walker) who preceded him, but when he was asked about his favorite contemporary guitarist (this was back in the late 60s) he said that Peter Green's playing gave him the cold sweats. High praise from a master. That was before mental illness sidelined Green and he was leading Fleetwood Mac.

1. Who is Hendrix and why do fans listen to him?

Hendrix refers to the legendary guitarist and singer, Jimi Hendrix. He is known for his innovative and influential style of rock music. Fans listen to him because of his unique sound and powerful performances, which have stood the test of time.

2. What makes Hendrix fans so dedicated?

Hendrix fans are dedicated because of the emotional connection they feel to his music. His lyrics and guitar playing resonate with people on a deep level, and his talent and charisma are hard to resist.

3. What are some of Hendrix's most famous songs?

Some of Hendrix's most famous songs include "Purple Haze," "Hey Joe," "All Along the Watchtower," and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)."

4. How did Hendrix influence the music industry?

Hendrix's influence on the music industry is immeasurable. He revolutionized the use of electric guitar and pioneered new techniques and sounds that are still used by musicians today. He also pushed the boundaries of rock music and inspired countless artists to experiment and think outside the box.

5. What are some interesting facts about Hendrix?

Hendrix was left-handed but played a right-handed guitar upside down. He also served in the US Army before pursuing a career in music. In 1969, he performed a memorable rendition of the US national anthem at Woodstock. Sadly, he passed away at the young age of 27, but his legacy continues to live on through his music.