Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HeNe Laser PLEASE HELP!

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1
    I am a senior in high school and I am interested in learning about lasers. After a lot of reading I have decided to start with building a HeNe laser as it seems to be the simplest/cheapest to start. I purchased a laser tube ( http://www.lasers.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=653&cat=Lasers&sub= ) and now I need to build a power supply. I was wondering if anyone could help me with that? Thanks .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use a neon sign transformer. I did it with a 9kV transformer when I was in high school. Check out this Amateur Laser Construction site.
    Regards

4. Jan 14, 2006 #3
    Instead of buying a power supply I think I would prefer to build one, however, I don't know where to begin. Can you help with that?

Otherwise, I feel as though I am just buying a tube, buying a supply, plugging one into the other and it's done. What did you DO with your laser?

5. Jan 15, 2006 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't want to build a power supply capable of producing the high voltage required to fire the HeNe. Buying a transformer (or maybe finding one in the trash as I did) would not mean you would not learn about laser construction. There is more to building one than just buying a tube and transformer. Did you read the link I posted?

As to the one I made; I played with it for a while before moving on to other projects.

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?