Solving Henry Sincosky's Static Friction Problem

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitude of the normal force on a rafter when a person is suspended from it using their hands. Using a free-body diagram, the solution involves setting up equations for the forces and using the coefficient of static friction to find the normal force. However, the incorrect answer may be due to an incorrect free-body diagram.
seraphimhouse

Homework Statement

In about 1915, Henry Sincosky of Philadelphia suspended himself from a rafter by gripping the rafter with the thumb of each hand on one side and the fingers on the other side (Fig. 6-22). Sincosky's mass was 82.0 kg. If the coefficient of static friction between hand and rafter was 0.700, what was the least magnitude of the normal force on the rafter from each thumb or opposite fingers?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c06/pict_6_22.gif

Homework Equations

Fnet = Ma
Fs,max = UsFn

Us = Coefficient of static friction

The Attempt at a Solution

With Normal force and Gravitational force pointing down and Static Friction pointing up on the free-body diagram, I for Fs - Fn - Fg = 0 [Zero acceleration]. Then I put Fg = Fs - Fn and substituted Fs with UsFn. Got the answer 2680 [rounded to 3 sig figs] but was the incorrect answer.

I have a feeling that it's my free body diagram that's wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think that for the fingers of the hand, your normal force would be pointing up from the board and your frictional force to the side.. because friction always opposes motion, and if the fingers were to slide off the plank they would move sideways.. that's if i understand the situation correctly...

Maybe this picture will help:

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c06/pict_6_22.gif

oh ok.. you i was thinking about it wrong... so for this pic i think that the frictional force points up, the normal force to the side and gravity down...

I was wondering, why normal force to the side?

well normal force is always perpendicular to the surface of contact, so from the board to his fingers...

1. What is Henry Sincosky's Static Friction Problem?

Henry Sincosky's Static Friction Problem is a physics problem that involves determining the minimum force needed to overcome static friction and set an object in motion.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it helps us understand the concept of static friction, which is crucial in engineering and designing structures and machines that need to remain stationary until a certain force is applied.

3. How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved by using the formula F = μsN, where F is the minimum force needed, μs is the coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force exerted on the object.

4. What factors affect static friction?

The coefficient of static friction and the normal force are the two main factors that affect static friction. The type of surfaces in contact and the roughness of the surfaces also play a role.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this problem?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of this problem, such as designing brakes for vehicles, preventing objects from slipping on inclined surfaces, and calculating the force needed to push or pull objects on various surfaces.