1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Henry's Law/Equilibrium Problem

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A closed rigid container contains distilled water
    and [itex]N_{2}(g)[/itex] at equilibrium. Actions that would
    inctease the concentration of [itex]N_{2}(g)[/itex] in the
    water include which of the following?
    I. Shaking the container vigorously
    II. Raising the temperature of the water
    III. Injecting more [itex]N_{2}(g)[/itex] into the container
    (A) I only
    (B) II only
    (C) III only
    (D) I and II only
    (E) I, II, and III

2. Relevant equations
    - Henry's law states that more pressure means more solubility but don't know if that works here.
    - We could try Le chatelier's principle

3. The attempt at a solution
    To be honest I'm not very sure what the question is asking. The answer happens to be choice (C) but I can't figure my way around it. When I answered it initially, I wrote down A but no clue why it should be C. Is the question asking about the solubility of nitrogen gas in the water, or something else? Surely if you add gas, the concentration of the gas must increase even if equilibrium tries to consume some of it, the net change of the gas's concentration will still be positive right? So I know that III is definitely true, but I can't seem to work out I and II. I feels right, since shaking it should increase pressure?

I appreciate any help on this question. Thanks!

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Shaking can speed up reaching equilibrium, but you are told you already are at the equilibrium, so shaking doesn't matter.

Solubility of gases lowers with temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook