Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers

In summary, the driving force for sorption in rubbery polymers is mainly attributed to Van Der Waals interactions between the polymer chains and the gas molecules. Other interactions, such as hydrogen bonding or dipole-dipole interactions, may also play a role but are not as significant. Further research on specific studies and understanding the structure and properties of the polymer and gas molecules may provide more insight on their interactions.
Ross84
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here, so I apologize in advanced for not knowing the culture of this site. Please be patient, I will learn. :)

I'm studying the sorption behaviors of gases in polymers and I have a question about sorption in rubbery polymers following Henry's law of sorption. I know it is a weak interaction between polymer and penetrant, but what is the driving force for the process. Holding critical temperature of gas, system temperature and pressure constant and dismissing facilitated transport. What interaction is there between the polymer and penetrant? Is it just Van Der Waals interaction that makes it soluble? I read several articles, book sections, etc and I think I understand what they are stating but I don't feel satisfied that I understand the process in its entirety. If you guys have a good article or information I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ross

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hello Ross,

Welcome to the forum! No need to apologize, we are always happy to have new members and help each other learn.

To answer your question, the driving force for sorption in rubbery polymers is mainly attributed to Van Der Waals interactions between the polymer chains and the gas molecules. These interactions are weak, but when the gas molecules come into close proximity with the polymer chains, they can be attracted to the polymer and become "dissolved" in it. The strength of these interactions can also be affected by the temperature and pressure of the system, as well as the chemical structure of the polymer and the gas molecule.

There may also be some additional interactions, such as hydrogen bonding or dipole-dipole interactions, depending on the specific polymer and gas involved. However, these are typically not as significant as Van Der Waals interactions in rubbery polymers.

I would recommend looking into specific studies on the sorption of gases in rubbery polymers, as they may provide more detailed information on the interactions involved. Additionally, understanding the structure and properties of both the polymer and gas molecules can also give insight into their interactions.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research! Let us know if you have any other questions.

What is Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers?

Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers is a physical law that describes the relationship between the concentration of a gas dissolved in a rubbery polymer and the partial pressure of that gas above the polymer. It states that at a constant temperature, the amount of gas that can be dissolved in the polymer is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas.

How is Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers different from Henry's Law in general?

While Henry's Law in general describes the solubility of a gas in a liquid, Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers specifically applies to the solubility of a gas in a rubbery polymer. This is because rubbery polymers have a unique structure and properties that affect the sorption of gases.

What factors affect the sorption of gases in rubbery polymers?

The sorption of gases in rubbery polymers is affected by the temperature, pressure, and the properties of both the gas and the polymer. Additionally, the molecular weight and structure of the polymer can also influence the sorption process.

What are some practical applications of Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers?

Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers has many practical applications, including in the field of polymer science and engineering. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases in rubbery polymers, which is important in industries such as packaging, automotive, and healthcare.

Are there any limitations to Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers?

Like any scientific law, Henry's Law of Sorption in Rubbery Polymers has its limitations. It assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as non-ideal polymer structures, chemical interactions between the gas and the polymer, and the presence of other gases. These limitations should be considered when applying the law in practical situations.