1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Henstock Integral Help

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove [itex]\int\int_{[-1,1]×[-1,1]}f(x,y)dA[/itex] is not Henstock Integrable.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]f(x,y) = \frac{xy}{(x^{2}+y^{2})^{2}}[/itex]
    [itex]f(x,y) = 0 [/itex] if [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=0[/itex] on the region [-1,1]×[-1,1]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only hints given is that we will not be able to solve in Maple or Mathematica by using trapezoidable interagtion techniques.

I'm assuming I would start by trying to prove that it is integrable and use contradiction to solve my answer.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What does it mean to be Henstock integrable? That's not a term I've ever heard.

[STRIKE]In any case, your second equation above doesn't apply. x2 + y2 ≠ 0 for any real x and y.[/STRIKE]
    Edit: Wrote the above without thinking too clearly.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. Apr 22, 2013 #3
    Henstock-Kurzweil Integral is used in Real Analysis. I'm pretty sure my class is being taught material that is generally left for graduate school, however since my professor did his PhD studies on it, thinks we can handle it.

As for the second equation, we are to think of f(x,y) as a piecewise function. That way we can deal with when both x and y are zero at the same time.

5. Apr 22, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Sorry about that incorrect comment in my previous post. I was thinking x2 + y2 ≥ 0, and that somehow that meant that x2 + y2 ≠ 0.

6. Apr 22, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think it's clear the problem is in 0. Try to find out what the integral is on ##([-1,1]\times[-1,1])\setminus ([-\varepsilon,\varepsilon]\times [-\varepsilon,\varepsilon])## and let ##\varepsilon\rightarrow 0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted