Summer Schools for HEP PhDs: QCD Theory & Phenomenology

In summary, There are several summer schools for PhD students in High Energy Physics, with the most famous being TASI in Boulder, Colorado and the ones offered by Princeton University, SLAC, Fermilab, CERN, ICTP, Les Houches, and Cargese. TASI is recommended for students in QCD Theory/Phenomenology, and it is important for students to attend before graduating. The CERN summer school is now a joint program with Fermilab and alternates between Europe and America. European students may have a harder time getting into TASI due to limited spots for non-US students.
kaksmet
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone have some suggestions on good summer schools, or where I can find them, for PhD students in High Energy Physics? Europe based would be good but perhaps not necessary.
More specifically I am working in QCD Theory/Phenomenology.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The most famous one I know of is TASI in Boulder, Colorado. The topics alternate, usually between String theory and pheno, although ever since the LHC turned on there have been less and less string theory schools. Princeton U. also has a very popular one (PITP), as does SLAC (SSI). Fermilab has an accelerator school, but that's probably not what you want.

If you wanted to stay in Europe, there is also the CERN summer school that is very good. I think DESY has one as well, but I'm not sure about it.

The spring and summer schools at ICTP in Trieste are excellent. This year's spring school is on string theory but the summer school is on a diverse set of pheno topics: http://users.ictp.it/~smr2244/topics.html

Les Houches has a more string oriented school on LHC topics: http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/houches11/

Finally, you should be aware of the schools at Cargese. There doesn't seem to be any particle physics courses in the summer, but perhaps in a future year http://www.iesc.univ-corse.fr/spip.php?rubrique52

For Pheno, you need to go to TASSI before you graduate. It's the first rung of the career ladder.

There is no CERN summer school per se any more. There is a Fermilab-CERN summer school which alternates between Europe and America. It's in Europe this year. Out of phase with that is the CTEQ summer school, which is in America.

Vanadium 50 said:
For Pheno, you need to go to TASSI before you graduate. It's the first rung of the career ladder.

as an American student, I say, DEFINITELY! As for European students: it's a little harder to get in. Out of roughly 50-60 students, they usually have no more than about 5 non-US (that is: students going to University outside the US+Canada, including Latin America and Europe).

What is the purpose of "Summer Schools for HEP PhDs: QCD Theory & Phenomenology"?

The purpose of these summer schools is to provide advanced training and education for PhD students in the fields of Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) theory and phenomenology. These fields are important in understanding the fundamental interactions of subatomic particles and their behavior.

Who can attend these summer schools?

These summer schools are primarily designed for PhD students in the field of High Energy Physics (HEP). However, advanced undergraduate students and postdoctoral researchers may also attend.

What topics are covered in these summer schools?

The topics covered in these summer schools may vary, but generally include lectures and workshops on QCD theory, phenomenological techniques, and their applications in current research. Topics such as collider physics, particle phenomenology, and lattice QCD may also be covered.

Who are the instructors for these summer schools?

The instructors for these summer schools are typically experts in the field of QCD theory and phenomenology, including professors, researchers, and industry professionals. They are chosen for their knowledge and experience in the field and their ability to effectively teach and mentor students.

Are there any prerequisites for attending these summer schools?

While specific prerequisites may vary, participants are generally expected to have a basic understanding of quantum field theory and particle physics. Some familiarity with QCD theory and phenomenology may also be helpful. It is recommended that interested students check with the organizers for specific prerequisites before applying.