Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Here comes Irene

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The eye, or what's left of it, is suppose to graze us on Sunday evening. But were already getting some good rains today.

It look likes we're in for three days of rain. That usually means a fair amount of flooding in our area.

Good thing we got a basement flood protection system. :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2
    Irene, goodnight Irene, I'll see you in my dreams.

The latest forecast has Irene making a path directly through the sliding door in my den and out the front door on its way to Maine. I bought two gallons of water and filled the car with gas. I have a flashlight and fresh batteries. The laptop and cell phone run on batteries so I'll have that for communication. What am I forgetting?

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Irene, goodnight Irene, I'll see you in my dreams.

To Run.

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4

Astronuc

Everything else requires electricity.

I thought of that song, too.

6. Aug 25, 2011 #5

Evo

Did you stock up on your favorite foods, tape the windows, don't forget car adaptors for cell phones. They even sell briefcase size generators at Target to run small appliances and computers. I take it they are just large rechargeable battery packs, but not a bad idea.

For some reason every time we had a hurricane down in Houston, they said to fill the bathtubs with water, but I don't ever remember the water shutting off, I guess if a pumping station went down it might matter.

Candles, you must have candles!! A chafing dish with sterno is fun if the power goes out. Talk about a romantic dinner!

7. Aug 25, 2011 #6

Thanks Evo.

Q: Did you stock up on your favorite foods?
    A: Yes, What do you figure, 20,000 calories a day? Actually, We have lots of canned goods. I have no idea how we'll cook them though.

Q: Tape the windows?
    A: No, but I'm thinking about it.

Q: Don't forget car adaptors for cell phones.
    A: Thanks for reminding me of that, I do have one.

Q: Generator?
    A: No, and that means that anything in the fridge will go bad quickly. The people at Sears told me that they no longer sell generators, and now they've got customers clamoring for them.

Q: Candles?
    A: Yes, my wife uses tea candles by the hundreds so we're well stocked.

8. Aug 25, 2011 #7

Evo

You're all set, now just hope that the electricity doesn't go out for long and the kids get bored.

Oh, do you have a lot of trees? A chain saw is a good thing to have. And if a power line goes down in your yard, DO NOT GO OUTSIDE!!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/01/3-killed-in-backyard-electrocution-identified.html

9. Aug 25, 2011 #8

Battery operated fans, a couple more gallons of water, duct tape (not really necessary...some people used to use it to tape windows... but everyone buys it when a hurricane is coming). Do you have enough ice?

10. Aug 25, 2011 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If they don't sell gas generators, maybe a wind powered generator?

giggle.

11. Aug 25, 2011 #10

lol that was funny Penguwino.

12. Aug 25, 2011 #11

Sterno burners, don't get hot enough to really cook with, but useful to heat things with. You can barely boil water with if you wait long enough. They're fairly cheap too.

Packing tape would work, at least if the windows blow, it may help keep shards from flying about. Getting it off any windows that don't may be tricky, but probably worth the safety step.

A lighter, zippo and matches. Candles are great, until you realize you can't light them.

13. Aug 25, 2011 #12

Evo

Our electricity here would go out every time it snowed. I had a couple of those big 3 wick candles, and got the little metal grate out of the toaster oven, put it over the candle, and cooked with it. It can actually boil water and "fry" stuff. I also rigged the fireplace as a stove. A couple of bricks and a barbecue grate and voila! but for small things, the candle did the job. Also, candles do a good job of warming a room. I put the girls in my room and had dozens of candles going, not bad.

For light, if you have mirrors, place the candles on them, the reflected light adds so much. Even sheets of aluminum foil will help. If you are walking through a dark room, pointing the flashlight up at the ceiling will illuminate the room better than pointing it down at the floor.

Yes, I've been without electricty a LOT.

14. Aug 25, 2011 #13
    it's about time someone posted about .... OMG! we're going to DIE!!!!!!!! :cry:
    "The worst storm of our lifetime."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  15. Aug 26, 2011 #14

I keep several lamps that can use either liquid paraffin or oil. Reading by lamplight is nifty.

16. Aug 26, 2011 #15
    Well NOW we hear that NYU and the VA hospital will be evacuated and those are where we were going in the event of an event and we are event family. Open to suggestions.

17. Aug 26, 2011 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Should be an interesting Sunday chat then.

I've only been through one notahurricane in my life. It was down in Cabo. Impressed the hell out of me. Went from 3 to 2 to 1 and then sub-hurricane by the time it hit.

But 70 mph winds wizzing by your hot tub is pretty impressive, with the palm tree's spewing coconut's horizontally, rain falling horizontally, and, um, well, everything was pretty much moving 90 degrees out of sync with where it should have been.

My sister took a video that night. Might make a good U-tube for you to watch.

If you survive....

Hold on Astro.

18. Aug 26, 2011 #17

I just wrote a post and got one of those bad gateway messages -_-

I was saying that one of the most annoying things after a bad hurricane is no water. It is good to have enough drinking water for at least three days. Usually the water is restored before the power, especially if the power lines are above ground. It is ideal to have at least a week worth of drinking water just in case there is a boil water order when the water is restored and you have nothing to boil water with (those little camping gas burners come in handy). Having tubs filled with water is really good for utility (flushing toilets, washing hands, etc.). And if the storm is a cat4 when it hits and your windows are not hurricane windows, it is best to stay away from them and weather the storm in a room with no windows. Sometimes the storm can pass ok with no damage to the windows, but it is much better to be safe than sorry :)

19. Aug 26, 2011 #18
    The sound of that reminds me of either a mop or a very dry sheepdog who likes rolling around on wet floors.

20. Aug 26, 2011 #19
    When in trouble,
    When in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and Shout!

21. Aug 26, 2011 #20

Life vest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook