Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Here in australia

1. Jul 23, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

we got here last night. we flew into sydney after a 14 hour flight. then we flew to cairnes this morning. we'll be here for 3 days, then off to alice springs/ayer's rock.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2005 #2
    ohhh ayers rock is something I've always wanted to see. But 14 hours on a plane, the jet lag would make me nuts!
    You should buy yourself a digaredo! Hope you have a great time.

4. Jul 23, 2005 #3

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's didgeridoo, and Uluru is the proper indigenous name for Ayer's Rock. It's an amazing place. The traditional owners prefer that you DON'T climb it, because they feel responsible if you fall off it (and many people have). Of course, I didn't know that until I got there, so, feeling a little guilty, I climbed it, which I have to admit is an amazing experience.

5. Jul 23, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Glad you had a safe trip. :smile: What's the drinking age there?

6. Jul 23, 2005 #5
    18, but it was easy enough to get into pubs when I was underage here in the the city so I bet a 12 year old could in alice.

7. Jul 23, 2005 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Sweet Jesus man! You're on holiday! Turn the computer off and go enjoy yourself!

8. Jul 23, 2005 #7
    Yeah seriously, go have fun and stop posting here at pf.

9. Jul 23, 2005 #8
    I think the mods should do you a favor and put a temporary ban on you...at least until you get back.

10. Jul 23, 2005 #9
    yeah theres so much to do down south just go for it and forget about forums!!!

11. Jul 25, 2005 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

I have hardlt any internet access. having alot of fun. I'll be back next week. ;)

12. Jul 25, 2005 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

Where is my kangoroo?

13. Jul 25, 2005 #12

Mk

Last time I went to Australia, I came back and my typing speed was about 25 words slower.

Those digeredoos are REELY expensive, and they're hard to play.

I loved Cairns, I must visit again.

14. Jul 25, 2005 #13

JamesU

Gold Member

I bought a digeridoo fior $90. (AUD) and a boomerang.; both crafted by localaborigional artists.

I haven't found you a kangaroo yet, but I'm going to alice springs today, and should find one soon.

15. Jul 25, 2005 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

And I'm still trying to figure out why australian toilets have 2 flush buttons... :rolleyes:

16. Jul 25, 2005 #15
    Be happy you don't have to use a squatter style.....

FYI...if you ever go to Bahrain or the UAE make sure you bring some TP with you. A lot of the toilets there will be squatters and a significant number of them do not have a sprayer. And even if they do have a sprayer...I would not recommend you use it....

[​IMG]

Ok, I am done.

17. Jul 25, 2005 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought the Uluru was sacred to the Anangu, and setting foot upon it was considered disrespectful.

18. Jul 25, 2005 #17
    To conserve water. Sometimes a half flush will do. Most of the country is on water restrictions of some sort or another, and a lot of the country is in drought.

19. Jul 28, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

hmm. I'm here at the ayer's rock resort. I have a very nice view of the rock right now.

20. Jul 28, 2005 #19
    yomomma, be happy, those are the days I hope momma will never forget...

21. Jul 30, 2005 #20

JamesU

Gold Member

okay, I'm here at the airport, going back. I went to a dinner called 'spunds of silence' which provided a start show and a great view of the milky way. Then I went to the ayer's rock/kata tjuta park. I have to go now. I'll show you guys some pics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?