Here in australia

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date

JamesU

Gold Member
we got here last night. we flew into sydney after a 14 hour flight. then we flew to cairnes this morning. we'll be here for 3 days, then off to alice springs/ayer's rock.

ohhh ayers rock is something I've always wanted to see. But 14 hours on a plane, the jet lag would make me nuts!
You should buy yourself a digaredo! Hope you have a great time.

James R

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
That's didgeridoo, and Uluru is the proper indigenous name for Ayer's Rock. It's an amazing place. The traditional owners prefer that you DON'T climb it, because they feel responsible if you fall off it (and many people have). Of course, I didn't know that until I got there, so, feeling a little guilty, I climbed it, which I have to admit is an amazing experience.

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Glad you had a safe trip. :smile: What's the drinking age there?

18, but it was easy enough to get into pubs when I was underage here in the the city so I bet a 12 year old could in alice.

matthyaouw

Gold Member
Sweet Jesus man! You're on holiday! Turn the computer off and go enjoy yourself!

Yeah seriously, go have fun and stop posting here at pf.

I think the mods should do you a favor and put a temporary ban on you...at least until you get back.

yeah theres so much to do down south just go for it and forget about forums!!!

JamesU

Gold Member
I have hardlt any internet access. having alot of fun. I'll be back next week. ;)

Lisa!

Gold Member
Where is my kangoroo?

Mk

Last time I went to Australia, I came back and my typing speed was about 25 words slower.

Those digeredoos are REELY expensive, and they're hard to play.

I loved Cairns, I must visit again.

JamesU

Gold Member
I bought a digeridoo fior $90. (AUD) and a boomerang.; both crafted by localaborigional artists.

I haven't found you a kangaroo yet, but I'm going to alice springs today, and should find one soon.

JamesU

Gold Member
And I'm still trying to figure out why australian toilets have 2 flush buttons... :rolleyes:

yomamma said:
And I'm still trying to figure out why australian toilets have 2 flush buttons... :rolleyes:
Be happy you don't have to use a squatter style.....

FYI...if you ever go to Bahrain or the UAE make sure you bring some TP with you. A lot of the toilets there will be squatters and a significant number of them do not have a sprayer. And even if they do have a sprayer...I would not recommend you use it....

in-dlh5.jpg

Ok, I am done.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
James R said:
That's didgeridoo, and Uluru is the proper indigenous name for Ayer's Rock. It's an amazing place. The traditional owners prefer that you DON'T climb it, because they feel responsible if you fall off it (and many people have). Of course, I didn't know that until I got there, so, feeling a little guilty, I climbed it, which I have to admit is an amazing experience.
I thought the Uluru was sacred to the Anangu, and setting foot upon it was considered disrespectful.

yomamma said:
To conserve water. Sometimes a half flush will do. Most of the country is on water restrictions of some sort or another, and a lot of the country is in drought.

JamesU

Gold Member
hmm. I'm here at the ayer's rock resort. I have a very nice view of the rock right now.

yomomma, be happy, those are the days I hope momma will never forget...

JamesU

Gold Member
okay, I'm here at the airport, going back. I went to a dinner called 'spunds of silence' which provided a start show and a great view of the milky way. Then I went to the ayer's rock/kata tjuta park. I have to go now. I'll show you guys some pics

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We're looking forward to pictures when you return and get over your jet lag enough to post them. :biggrin:

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
But don't we have PF members who *live*, all year round, in Australia? Or who spent most of their formative years (or otherwise) in Australia? I mean, it's truly wonderful that PF members get out and see the world, but ....

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nereid said:
But don't we have PF members who *live*, all year round, in Australia? Or who spent most of their formative years (or otherwise) in Australia? I mean, it's truly wonderful that PF members get out and see the world, but ....
There are, but often people don't appreciate a place as much when they live there as you do when you visit there.

Vacation photos are the best! Looking forward to seeing some.

Mk

Townsend said:
Be happy you don't have to use a squatter style.....

FYI...if you ever go to Bahrain or the UAE make sure you bring some TP with you. A lot of the toilets there will be squatters and a significant number of them do not have a sprayer. And even if they do have a sprayer...I would not recommend you use it....

in-dlh5.jpg

Ok, I am done.
Those aren't terrible, I've used those many times. I'm also quite a traveler, and bring my own special toliet paper just for me everywhere I travel. Comes in handy.

Those roundabouts and the driving is weird.

Last edited: