Arrive in Australia - Sydney to Cairnes to Alice Springs

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Australia
In summary, the conversation revolved around a recent trip to Australia, with the individual flying into Sydney and then to Cairns. They were excited to visit Ayer's Rock and mentioned buying a didgeridoo and a boomerang from local Aboriginal artists. The conversation also touched on the controversy surrounding climbing Uluru and the use of two flush buttons on Australian toilets for water conservation. The individual also shared their experiences with using squatter-style toilets in other countries. There was also a discussion about vacation photos and the differences in toilet design around the world.
JamesU
Gold Member
we got here last night. we flew into sydney after a 14 hour flight. then we flew to cairnes this morning. we'll be here for 3 days, then off to alice springs/ayer's rock.

Physics news on Phys.org
ohhh ayers rock is something I've always wanted to see. But 14 hours on a plane, the jet lag would make me nuts!
You should buy yourself a digaredo! Hope you have a great time.

That's didgeridoo, and Uluru is the proper indigenous name for Ayer's Rock. It's an amazing place. The traditional owners prefer that you DON'T climb it, because they feel responsible if you fall off it (and many people have). Of course, I didn't know that until I got there, so, feeling a little guilty, I climbed it, which I have to admit is an amazing experience.

Glad you had a safe trip. :smile: What's the drinking age there?

18, but it was easy enough to get into pubs when I was underage here in the the city so I bet a 12 year old could in alice.

Sweet Jesus man! You're on holiday! Turn the computer off and go enjoy yourself!

Yeah seriously, go have fun and stop posting here at pf.

I think the mods should do you a favor and put a temporary ban on you...at least until you get back.

yeah there's so much to do down south just go for it and forget about forums!

I have hardlt any internet access. having a lot of fun. I'll be back next week. ;)

Where is my kangoroo?

Last time I went to Australia, I came back and my typing speed was about 25 words slower.

Those digeredoos are REELY expensive, and they're hard to play.

I loved Cairns, I must visit again.

I bought a digeridoo fior $90. (AUD) and a boomerang.; both crafted by localaborigional artists.

I haven't found you a kangaroo yet, but I'm going to alice springs today, and should find one soon.

And I'm still trying to figure out why australian toilets have 2 flush buttons... :rolleyes:

yomamma said:
And I'm still trying to figure out why australian toilets have 2 flush buttons... :rolleyes:

Be happy you don't have to use a squatter style...

FYI...if you ever go to Bahrain or the UAE make sure you bring some TP with you. A lot of the toilets there will be squatters and a significant number of them do not have a sprayer. And even if they do have a sprayer...I would not recommend you use it...

in-dlh5.jpg

Ok, I am done.

James R said:
That's didgeridoo, and Uluru is the proper indigenous name for Ayer's Rock. It's an amazing place. The traditional owners prefer that you DON'T climb it, because they feel responsible if you fall off it (and many people have). Of course, I didn't know that until I got there, so, feeling a little guilty, I climbed it, which I have to admit is an amazing experience.
I thought the Uluru was sacred to the Anangu, and setting foot upon it was considered disrespectful.

yomamma said:

To conserve water. Sometimes a half flush will do. Most of the country is on water restrictions of some sort or another, and a lot of the country is in drought.

hmm. I'm here at the ayer's rock resort. I have a very nice view of the rock right now.

yomomma, be happy, those are the days I hope momma will never forget...

okay, I'm here at the airport, going back. I went to a dinner called 'spunds of silence' which provided a start show and a great view of the milky way. Then I went to the ayer's rock/kata tjuta park. I have to go now. I'll show you guys some pics

We're looking forward to pictures when you return and get over your jet lag enough to post them. :biggrin:

But don't we have PF members who *live*, all year round, in Australia? Or who spent most of their formative years (or otherwise) in Australia? I mean, it's truly wonderful that PF members get out and see the world, but ...

Nereid said:
But don't we have PF members who *live*, all year round, in Australia? Or who spent most of their formative years (or otherwise) in Australia? I mean, it's truly wonderful that PF members get out and see the world, but ...
There are, but often people don't appreciate a place as much when they live there as you do when you visit there.

Vacation photos are the best! Looking forward to seeing some.

Townsend said:

FYI...if you ever go to Bahrain or the UAE make sure you bring some TP with you. A lot of the toilets there will be squatters and a significant number of them do not have a sprayer. And even if they do have a sprayer...I would not recommend you use it...

in-dlh5.jpg

Ok, I am done.

Those aren't terrible, I've used those many times. I'm also quite a traveler, and bring my own special toliet paper just for me everywhere I travel. Comes in handy.

Those roundabouts and the driving is weird.

Last edited:
Townsend said:

in-dlh5.jpg

Ok, I am done.

See, this here is proof of why vacation photos are cool! How many people would think to take a picture of their toilet to post? Yet toilet design varies considerably around the world, and those planning trips are best forewarned of such variations. (I was thankful for the warning to bring my own TP to Poland when I visited there years ago...in many public bathrooms, you had to pay an attendant by the sheet to get TP, and what they offered was brown and rough, just like the cheap, not too absorbent, paper towels you'll find in US bathrooms.)

One of my colleagues visited Japan a number of years ago with her daughter, and her daughter's school only allowed her to miss that much school if she agreed to write a report and do a show-and-tell type presentation about Japan when she returned. My colleague told me she was just dying laughing when she saw what her daughter put into her presentation...of all the things there are to write about Japan and Japanese culture, her presentation started off with the squatter toilets, which absolutely fascinated her.

I have to say, from a woman's perspective, they make a heck of a lot more sense in a public restroom than the type of toilet intended to be sat upon since women will never actually sit on a public toilet and instead attempt to "hover." It also begins to fit in with the women in some countries preferring skirts/dresses in public (regardless of their religious requirements), because it seems far easier to hike up a skirt to use one of those than to deal with keeping pants from touching the floor.

I'm back. I don't ha2ve the pics on the computer yet, I'll put them on soon. The flight was easier this time. I'm just tired...

okay, not in the center...

I love the little white dot photo of you! What a great way to make a comparison of size! Uluru from the sky is good too.
Glad you made it home ok, the jet lag can be a killer. Did you bring back any goodies for yourself?

yep. my dad always gets about 1,000 souveniers on any trip we take... :rolleyes:

oh your lucky, my dad convinced us that rocks were good souveniers, :grumpy: so while the other kids got all the cool toys/dolls, I schlepe home bags of rocks.

rocks are...good... :uhh: