Why is CO2 a bigger concern for global climate change?

• Thread starter snoopenes
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concern over CO2 emissions and its role as a greenhouse gas compared to water vapor. The graph provided shows the relationship between CO2 emissions and global climate change. The conversation also mentions two possible reasons for why CO2 emissions are of higher concern: changes in incoming solar radiation and the fraction of solar radiation that is reflected. The conversation ends with a hint about which component in the atmosphere absorbs the most radiation from the sun and the Earth.
snoopenes
http://imageshack.us/m/155/6668/graphdm.jpg

Both carbon dioxide (CO2) and water-vapor (H2O) represent greenhouse gases. Recall that while the society is concerned about CO2 emissions, no-one worries about the amount of water-vapor released after cooking a meal. Looking at the graph given below, provide two reasons for why emissions of CO2 represent a higher concern for global climate change.

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you think?

Boy, that sure looks a lot like a homework question. Have you read the guidelines for getting help for homework? Why don't you start be telling us what *you* think the answer is, and explain in detail what you find confusing. Then perhaps we will be better able to help you.

my answer for this question is

-Change in the incoming solar radiation.(By changes in the Earth’s orbit or the sun itself)
-Change in the fraction for solar radiation that is reflected.

which component in the atmosphere absorbs the most radiation emitted by the sun and which component absorbs the most radiation emitted by the earth.

(hint: this has to do with which frequencies the Earth and sun emit with greatest intensity)

1. What makes a good scientific question?

A good scientific question is one that is specific, testable, and relevant to the topic being studied. It should also be open-ended, meaning that it cannot be answered with a simple yes or no.

2. Why is it important to ask good questions in science?

Asking good questions is essential to the scientific process because it helps guide research and investigation, leading to a better understanding of the natural world. Good questions also lead to more meaningful and impactful results.

3. Can a good question change over time in science?

Yes, a good question can change over time in science as new information and discoveries are made. This is because new evidence can lead to a shift in focus or a refinement of the original question.

4. How can I come up with good scientific questions?

One way to come up with good scientific questions is by observing the world around you and identifying patterns or phenomena that you are curious about. You can also read about current research in your field and think about potential gaps or unanswered questions.

5. What should I do if I can't answer my scientific question?

If you are unable to answer your scientific question, it is important to review your methods and data to ensure they are accurate and relevant. You can also seek guidance from other scientists in your field or consider alternative approaches to your research.