Here's a toughy about pulleys and friction

In summary: Sand is gradually added to the bucket until it's full and the block is still being pulled towards the pulley. The total mass added to the bucket is M and the acceleration of the system is A.
CoCaDragonfly
This is my problem:

A 28 kg. block is connected to an empty 1.00 kg. bucket by a cord running over a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of static friction between the table and the block is 0.45 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the table and the block is 0.32. Sand is gradually added to the bucket until the system just begins to move. (a) Calculate the mass of sand added to bucket. (b) Calculate the acceleration of the system.

Now, I found this problem pretty vague. I'm assuming the the heavier block is on the table, which makes the most sense. I'm not sure why they gave me both the static and kinetic friction. My problem is I'm not sure how to decide the exact amount of sand to add.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow this at all. How can the question say:
"The coefficient of static friction between the table and the block..."
when a table has not been previously mentioned?

Is there a diagram?

Nope, this is all the problem says. It's meant to "make us think", but I'm just getting a headache. From what I can gather, the heavier block is on a table, their is a frictionless pulley on the corner of the table, and an empty bucket is hanging on the rope tying the two masses together. Any ideas?

The block is placed on a horizontal table and the bucket and the send in it creating tension in the string which acts on the block to pull it towards the pulley, gives rise to the friction between the block and the table. You have to find the mass of the sand for limiting equilibrium of the block.

Ones the block start slipping, the friction is reduces to kinetic friction and hence the net force is resultant of tension and the kinetic friction is accelerating the block and the bucket.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. The rope or belt is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. What is the purpose of using pulleys?

The main purpose of using pulleys is to make work easier by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move heavy objects. Pulleys also allow for the direction of the force to be changed, making it possible to lift objects vertically or horizontally.

3. How does friction affect the operation of pulleys?

Friction can have both positive and negative effects on the operation of pulleys. On one hand, friction between the rope or belt and the pulley can help to keep the rope or belt in place and prevent it from slipping. However, too much friction can also cause the pulley to become stuck and not move smoothly, making it harder to lift or move objects.

4. What are some common uses of pulleys?

Pulleys have a wide range of applications and can be found in many everyday objects. Some common uses of pulleys include elevators, cranes, flagpoles, clotheslines, and exercise equipment such as weight-lifting machines.

5. How can the number of pulleys affect the amount of force needed to lift an object?

The more pulleys are used in a system, the less force is needed to lift an object. This is because each additional pulley reduces the amount of weight that needs to be lifted, making it easier for the person operating the pulleys to lift the object. However, using too many pulleys can also increase the amount of friction and make the system less efficient.