Calculating Initial Speed: Soccer Player Kicks Rock Off Cliff into Water

• Thread starter blazin247nc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a soccer player kicking a rock horizontally off a 40.0m high cliff and trying to find the initial speed given to the rock based on the time it takes for the sound of the splash to reach the player. The participants discuss the information given in the problem and determine that the time for the rock to hit the water can be calculated using the given information, and that the initial velocity in the y direction should be 0 since the rock is projected horizontally. They also use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the final position of the rock in the x direction, and from there determine the initial velocity in the x direction. The final answer is compared to the answer in the back of the book
blazin247nc
Here's a tricky one!

Homework Statement

A soccer player kicks a rock horizontally off a 40.0m high cliff into a pool of water. If the player hears the sound of the splash 3.00s later, what was the initial speed given to the rock? Assume the speed of sound in air to be 343 m/s.

I am completely confused on where to even start. It does not seem like enough information is given in the problem but there is an answer for it in the back of the book (I just need to show my work).

I am assuming that the sound was heard 3 seconds after he kicked it (not 3 seconds after it hit the water because that would be one hell of a kick even for a soccer player). That given I would need to know the distance the rock was away from the person in order to get the time it took to relay the sound. If I had that i could find the time it took for the rock to hit the water.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
blazin247nc said:
I am assuming that the sound was heard 3 seconds after he kicked it (not 3 seconds after it hit the water because that would be one hell of a kick even for a soccer player).
Right.
That given I would need to know the distance the rock was away from the person in order to get the time it took to relay the sound. If I had that i could find the time it took for the rock to hit the water.
You have all the information needed to calculate the time it takes for the rock to hit the water. That's the first step.

my original work is as follows:

40/t = 343m/s
t=0.117s <--- time the sound takes to relay

3-0.117= 2.88 <---- time for the rock to hit the water.

HOWEVER, that is only based on the distance of the y direction and doesn't incorporate how far the rock traveled in the x direction.

blazin247nc said:
my original work is as follows:

40/t = 343m/s
t=0.117s <--- time the sound takes to relay
That would be true if the rock hit the water directly underneath the kicker. But it didn't.

3-0.117= 2.88 <---- time for the rock to hit the water.
You're attacking this backwards. First figure out the time for the rock to hit the water. (Forget about the sound for the moment.)

HOWEVER, that is only based on the distance of the y direction and doesn't incorporate how far the rock traveled in the x direction.
Right. That's why it's no good.

y(final)=y(initial)+Vy(initial)*t - 1/2(9.8)(t^2)
-40= 0 + 0 -4.9t^2
8.16 = t^2
t = 2.86

Since it is projected horizontally the initial velocity in the y direction should be 0 as well as the initial y position, correct?

Good. Now you're cooking.

Since it is projected horizontally the angle would be 0 so the initial velocity would be equal to the intial velocity in the x direction.

So from here, without the final x position I don't see how I can find the intial velocity.

nm i figured it out ill post my solution in a second

since the time is 2.86s then the time of the sound is .14s

343 * .14 = 48.02

48^2 - 40^2 = 704 ... 704^1/2 = 26.5 <---pythagorean theorem

x(final)=26.5

x(final)=Vx(initial)*t

Vx(initial)=26.5/2.86 = 9.3

The answer in the back of the book is 9.91 so maybe roundoff error?

I'd say that your answer is correct and that the book's answer is off.

doc al...your a genius

thank you for your help

1. How do you calculate the initial speed of a soccer player kicking a rock off a cliff into water?

To calculate the initial speed of the soccer player's kick, we need to use the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the initial speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the cliff. We can measure the height of the cliff using a measuring tape or by using a formula to calculate it based on the angle of the cliff and the distance from the player to the water.

2. What factors influence the initial speed of the rock kicked off the cliff?

The initial speed of the rock is influenced by several factors, including the strength and technique of the player's kick, the weight and size of the rock, the angle at which the player kicks the rock, and the height of the cliff. Wind and other external factors can also affect the initial speed of the rock.

3. Can the initial speed of the rock be greater than the speed of sound?

No, the initial speed of the rock cannot be greater than the speed of sound (343 m/s). This is because the speed of sound is the maximum speed at which an object can travel through air. Any object traveling faster than the speed of sound would create a sonic boom, which is not possible for a rock kicked off a cliff into water.

4. How can the initial speed of the rock be measured?

The initial speed of the rock can be measured using a variety of methods. One way is to use a speed measuring device, such as a radar gun, to measure the speed of the rock as it leaves the player's foot. Another method is to use video analysis to track the movement of the rock and calculate its initial speed. Additionally, if we know the height of the cliff, we can use the equation v = √(2gh) to calculate the initial speed.

5. Why is it important to calculate the initial speed of the rock kicked off the cliff?

Calculating the initial speed of the rock provides valuable information about the strength and technique of the player's kick. It can also be used to predict the trajectory of the rock and determine how far it will travel before hitting the water. This information can be useful for coaches and players to improve their skills and strategically plan their kicks in a game. Additionally, understanding the initial speed can also provide insight into the potential impact or force of the rock hitting the water, which can have implications for the safety of those in or near the water.