Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heritage turkeys

1. Nov 25, 2009 #1
    Good brief article:

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/post_29.html

I've been eating heritage birds for the past 2 years. They are expensive ($120 for a 12-14 lbs bird) but are oooooooohhhhhhh so worth it. These turkeys were actually some of the most critically endangered animals in the US 5 years ago. Ironic how the only way to save them is to eat them. The typical turkeys you can get at a grocery store can only live for about 1 year if they are not slaughtered. These heritage birds can live for over 15 years.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We still have plenty of wild turkeys around here that people hunt.

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    Heritage turkeys and wild turkeys are birds of a different feather. They really taste very different from each other. The heritage bird I had last year, was delicious, with a crackling skin much like duck. Wild birds are stringy, tho moist. I do such a bad job cleaning them, that they hardly resemble a bird at all by the time I'm done.

5. Nov 25, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Unless you kill them.

6. Nov 25, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just sayin' they don't get much more "heritage" than the wild ancestor. :wink:

I agree with Evo that I don't want to eat a 15 year old bird; give me a nice, young tender one!

Did anyone hear Obama's speech when he pardoned the turkey today? :rofl:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQy0MPWnGY It was hilarious!

7. Nov 25, 2009 #6
    I heard the "Cuz I was gonna eat this sucker" line. lol

Here's a PETA Thanksgiving commercial that Grave might like.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Nov 25, 2009 #7
    PETA can go where the sun don't shine.

Mmmmmmmmmm, TURKEY!

9. Nov 26, 2009 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

45 Pounds! My god. We could feed all the starving children in China with that sucker.

That was a good video. You could tell the prez not had lunch yet. I swear he was drooling over that bird, like seeing turkey sandwich precursor or something

?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook