Heritage Turkeys: Taste & Longevity Beyond the Grocery Store

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the growing popularity of heritage turkeys, which were once considered critically endangered. These turkeys can live for over 15 years, while the typical store-bought turkeys only live for about 1 year if not slaughtered. The article also mentions the difference in taste between heritage and wild turkeys, with the former being more flavorful and the latter being stringy. The author shares their personal experience with both types of turkeys and also mentions President Obama's humorous speech when he pardoned a turkey for Thanksgiving. The article ends with a mention of a PETA Thanksgiving commercial and a wish for a happy Thanksgiving.
gravenewworld
Good brief article:

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/post_29.htmlI've been eating heritage birds for the past 2 years. They are expensive ($120 for a 12-14 lbs bird) but are oooooooohhhhhhh so worth it. These turkeys were actually some of the most critically endangered animals in the US 5 years ago. Ironic how the only way to save them is to eat them. The typical turkeys you can get at a grocery store can only live for about 1 year if they are not slaughtered. These heritage birds can live for over 15 years.

Physics news on Phys.org
We still have plenty of wild turkeys around here that people hunt.

Heritage turkeys and wild turkeys are birds of a different feather. They really taste very different from each other. The heritage bird I had last year, was delicious, with a crackling skin much like duck. Wild birds are stringy, tho moist. I do such a bad job cleaning them, that they hardly resemble a bird at all by the time I'm done.

gravenewworld said:
These heritage birds can live for over 15 years.
Unless you kill them.

hypatia said:
Heritage turkeys and wild turkeys are birds of a different feather. They really taste very different from each other. The heritage bird I had last year, was delicious, with a crackling skin much like duck. Wild birds are stringy, tho moist. I do such a bad job cleaning them, that they hardly resemble a bird at all by the time I'm done.

Just sayin' they don't get much more "heritage" than the wild ancestor. :wink:

I agree with Evo that I don't want to eat a 15 year old bird; give me a nice, young tender one!

Did anyone hear Obama's speech when he pardoned the turkey today? :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQy0MPWnGY It was hilarious!

Moonbear said:
Did anyone hear Obama's speech when he pardoned the turkey today?

I heard the "Cuz I was going to eat this sucker" line. lol

Here's a PETA Thanksgiving commercial that Grave might like.

Last edited by a moderator:
PETA can go where the sun don't shine.

Mmmmmmmmmm, TURKEY!

Moonbear said:
Just sayin' they don't get much more "heritage" than the wild ancestor. :wink:

I agree with Evo that I don't want to eat a 15 year old bird; give me a nice, young tender one!

Did anyone hear Obama's speech when he pardoned the turkey today? :rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQy0MPWnGY It was hilarious!

45 Pounds! My god. We could feed all the starving children in China with that sucker.

That was a good video. You could tell the prez not had lunch yet. I swear he was drooling over that bird, like seeing turkey sandwich precursor or something

?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :smile:

What is the difference between heritage turkeys and regular turkeys?

Heritage turkeys are a specific breed of turkeys that have been raised in the United States for over 100 years. They are known for their unique characteristics and flavorful taste, unlike regular turkeys which are bred for commercial production and are often processed and sold in grocery stores.

Why are heritage turkeys more expensive?

Heritage turkeys are more expensive because they are raised on small farms and have a slower growth rate compared to regular turkeys. They also require more space and care, leading to a higher production cost. Additionally, their limited availability and higher demand contribute to their higher price.

How do heritage turkeys taste compared to regular turkeys?

Heritage turkeys have a more distinct and rich flavor compared to regular turkeys. This is due to their natural diet and slower growth, allowing for more fat and flavor to develop in the meat. Many people also describe heritage turkeys as having a firmer texture and less dryness than regular turkeys.

What makes heritage turkeys more sustainable?

Heritage turkeys are considered more sustainable because they are raised on small farms using traditional farming methods. This allows for better animal welfare, preservation of genetic diversity, and reduced environmental impact. In contrast, regular turkeys are often mass-produced on factory farms, leading to negative consequences for the animals and the environment.

How can I purchase heritage turkeys?

Heritage turkeys can be purchased directly from small farms, local farmers' markets, or specialty food stores. They can also be ordered online from reputable sources. Due to their limited availability, it is recommended to purchase heritage turkeys in advance, especially around the holiday season.