1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermite Equation use

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    I have a problem for a Math Physics course, that I was suppose to find the Hermite equation, find solutions to it, plug them in to see if they work, and lastly find a use for the Hermite equation. I've done everything but I can't find a use for the equation I looked almost everywhere I would really applicate the help if someone could give me a use for the equation, it would be best if it was used in physics but if not it's alright. THANK YOU for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Hermite Equation as in the differential equation producing the Hermite polynomials?

For the case of a particle in a harmonic potential ([itex]\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2[/itex]) in quantum mechanics, the Schrodinger Equation (once rescaled to be in terms of nondimensional variables) has solutions which are proportional to [itex]\exp[-x^2/2][/itex] times the Hermite polynomials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermite_polynomials

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    I can't find the series solution to this equation can someone post it here please, also I was wondering how it fit in with shrodingers equation I'm suppose to somehow use Hermite to get to Schrodinger, or vice versa?

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?