Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermite Equation use

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    I have a problem for a Math Physics course, that I was suppose to find the Hermite equation, find solutions to it, plug them in to see if they work, and lastly find a use for the Hermite equation. I've done everything but I can't find a use for the equation I looked almost everywhere I would really applicate the help if someone could give me a use for the equation, it would be best if it was used in physics but if not it's alright. THANK YOU for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Hermite Equation as in the differential equation producing the Hermite polynomials?

For the case of a particle in a harmonic potential ([itex]\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2[/itex]) in quantum mechanics, the Schrodinger Equation (once rescaled to be in terms of nondimensional variables) has solutions which are proportional to [itex]\exp[-x^2/2][/itex] times the Hermite polynomials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermite_polynomials

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    I can't find the series solution to this equation can someone post it here please, also I was wondering how it fit in with shrodingers equation I'm suppose to somehow use Hermite to get to Schrodinger, or vice versa?

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?