Hermite Equation use

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have a problem for a Math Physics course, that I was suppose to find the Hermite equation, find solutions to it, plug them in to see if they work, and lastly find a use for the Hermite equation. I've done everything but I can't find a use for the equation I looked almost everywhere I would really applicate the help if someone could give me a use for the equation, it would be best if it was used in physics but if not it's alright. THANK YOU for the help!

Answers and Replies

Mute
Homework Helper
Hermite Equation as in the differential equation producing the Hermite polynomials?

For the case of a particle in a harmonic potential ([itex]\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2x^2[/itex]) in quantum mechanics, the Schrodinger Equation (once rescaled to be in terms of nondimensional variables) has solutions which are proportional to [itex]\exp[-x^2/2][/itex] times the Hermite polynomials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermite_polynomials

I can't find the series solution to this equation can someone post it here please, also I was wondering how it fit in with shrodingers equation I'm suppose to somehow use Hermite to get to Schrodinger, or vice versa?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper