Evaluating Hermite Identity with Integers: Help with Homework Equations

• Thread starter rattanjot14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate [b/m] + [(b+a)/m]+ [(b+2a)/m]+ [(b+3a)/m]+ [(b+4a)/m]+ [(b+5a)/m]+...+ [(b+(m-1)a)/m] where a and b are integers and m is an integer greater than 1. The attempted solution involves using Hermite identity, but it is hindered by the fact that a/m is not an integer. The conversation also mentions relevant equations and integrals from Concrete Mathematics by Ronald L. Graham, Donald E. Knuth, and Oren Patashnik. The solution is further discussed, with the suggestion to give it another
rattanjot14

Homework Statement

Let a and b be integers and m an integer >1 Evaluate

[b/m] + [(b+a)/m]+ [(b+2a)/m]+ [(b+3a)/m]+ [(b+4a)/m]+ [(b+5a)/m]+...+ [(b+(m-1)a)/m]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use hermite identity.

[x] + [x + 1/n] + [x + 2/n] +...+ [x + (n-1)/n] = [nx]

assuming x = b/m and 1/n = a/m.. but a/m is not an integer so i can't use it. I m stuck what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny you should mention that, just last week I read about it in pp 90-94 of Concrete Mathematics by Ronald L. Graham , Donald E. Knuth, and Oren Patashnik. Several interesting things are the dependence of the result on gcd(a,m) ,the fact that

$$\sum_{0 \le k < m} \left[ \frac{b+k \, a}{m}\right] = \sum_{0 \le k < a} \left[ \frac{b+k \, m}{a}\right], \, \, \, \, \, \, \, \, \, \mathop{integers \, \, \, a,m>0} $$

the closely related integrals

$$\frac{1}{m} \int_0^m (a \, x+b) \! \mathop{dx}=\frac{1}{a} \int_0^a (m \, x+b) \! \mathop{dx}=\frac{a \, m}{2}+b$$

The book uses several special cases to deduce the general one. Give it another try. If you have trouble describe the methods you tried and those you have know.

What is the Hermite Identity?

The Hermite Identity is a mathematical equation that relates the values of two Hermite polynomials with different degrees. It is often used in the field of probability and statistics to solve problems involving random variables.

Why is it important to evaluate Hermite Identity with integers?

Evaluating Hermite Identity with integers allows for the simplification and manipulation of the equation, making it easier to solve and apply to real-world problems.

What are some common applications of Hermite Identity?

Hermite Identity is commonly used in calculating moments and cumulants of random variables, as well as in the derivation of various probability distributions such as the normal distribution and Poisson distribution.

Are there any limitations to using Hermite Identity?

One limitation of Hermite Identity is that it is only applicable to continuous random variables. It also assumes that the variables are normally distributed, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

How can I use Hermite Identity to solve problems?

To use Hermite Identity, you first need to identify the Hermite polynomials involved in the equation and their respective degrees. Then, you can substitute the values of the integers into the equation and simplify it to solve for the desired variable.