1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermite polynomals

1. May 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that <x^2> for an harmonic oscillator = (1+2n)/2 (all other constants were taken to be = to 1) using the Hermite's generating function.

2. Relevant equations

<x^2> = an integral of exp(-x^2)*x^2*[Hn(x)]^2 = (2n+1)/2 (all constants are taken to be equal to 1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the standard way of multiplying the generating function by x^2 and exp(-x^2). Then, I took the integral. I had: integral of x^2*exp(-x^2 - 2z^2 + 4xz)dx = sum of z^(2n)/(n!)^2 * integral of x^2*exp(-x^2)*[Hn(x)]^2dx. So the only thing that remained to do was to calculate the integral of x^2*exp(-x^2 - 2z^2 + 4xz)dx from -infinity to +infinity. This integral is easily done by multiplying it by exp(2z^2) and writing it as integral of x^2*exp(-(x-2z)^2). By changing variables from x-2z = u, three integrals remain: integral of u^2*exp(-u^2)du + 4z^2*integral of exp(-u^2)du and the other one will vanish because the integrand is odd. By doing the integrations I obtain Exp(2z^2)*((Pi^0.5)*0.5 + 4z^2*Pi^0.5). Expanding the exponential and making this solution equal to sum of z^(2n)/(n!)^2 * integral of x^2*exp(-x^2)*[Hn(x)]^2dx, and taking the coefficients of the same power in z, I obtain as a final results (4n+1)/2 instead of (2n+1)/2 (which I am able to obtain using recursion relations). I have already tried to look for mistakes in the development of the solution, but I really cannot find. Everything seems completely allright to me, except for the result. The 2n in 2n +1/2 is a consequence of the 4z1^2 in the integral of exp(-x^2) which comes from completing the square in the initial integration, so I cannot see where this is wrong, although i am 100% sure there is something wrong.

I would be extremely thankful if someone could help me.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Careful,

[tex]\begin{aligned}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{z^n}{n!}H_n(x)\right)^2 &= \sum_{n,m=0}^\infty \frac{z^{n+m}}{n!m!}H_n(x)H_m(x) \\ &= \frac{z^{2n}}{(n!)^2}\left[H_n(x)\right]^2+\sum_{\stackrel{n,m=0}{n\neq m}}^\infty \frac{z^{n+m}}{n!m!}H_n(x)H_m(x) \\ &\neq \frac{z^{2n}}{(n!)^2}\left[H_n(x)\right]^2\end{aligned}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook