How to Apply Hermite Polynomial for Physics Problems

• B
  • Thread starter Alaguraja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Hermite polynomials in physics problems, with a focus on their definition and use in solving the one dimensional quantum-mechanical harmonic oscillator. It is suggested to consult books on mathematical methods and quantum mechanics for further understanding and application. The conversation also mentions the importance of starting with a course or basic text in mechanics for solving physics problems.
Alaguraja
I have doubt since a long time, that is How we apply the Hermite polynomial for a physics problem. And I don't know weather everyone known about how the analyze a physics problem and how do they apply a correct mathematical methods?

Physics news on Phys.org
This will clear your "ancient" doubt.
There are several ways that Hermite polynomials can be defined, but the one used by physicists is this: the Hermite polynomial of degree
latex.png
is defined as
latex.png
At first glance, this doesn’t look like a polynomial at all, since it contains only exponentials. But if we calculate the first few, we can see that we get a sequence of polynomials:

latex.png
latex.png
latex.png

latex.php
latex.png
latex.png

latex.png
latex.png
latex.png

latex.php
latex.png
latex.png

latex.png
latex.png
latex.png

latex.php
latex.png
latex.png

Likes Alaguraja and vanhees71
Thank you Mr. John

Likes John Dalton
The pleasure was all mine.

Likes Alaguraja
You can find a short discussion of Hermite polynomials in a book on mathematical methods. I have the one written by Arfken, but I'm sure others (those by Boas or Riley) will cover it, too. An in-depth treatment is in Lebedev, Special Functions and Their Applications, which also has excellent coverage of the other important functions (polynomials, Bessel functions, spherical harmonics, etc.) with many physics applications. It's a Dover book so it's inexpensive.

Finally, Hermite polynomials are famous as the solution to the one dimensional quantum-mechanical harmonic oscillator. You can find this physics application in all quantum mechanics books. For an undergrad QM text, see any of the standards like Griffith, Shankar, Liboff, or an inexpensive used copy of E. Anderson.

As to the general question of how to solve physics problems, I think you need to start with a course or a basic physics text. It is traditional to start with mechanics.

Likes vanhees71, Alaguraja and John Dalton
Thank you Mr.Marcus

1. What is Hermite Polynomial and how is it used in physics?

Hermite Polynomials are a set of mathematical functions that are used as solutions to differential equations in physics. They are named after the French mathematician Charles Hermite and are commonly used in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and other areas of physics.

2. How do I apply Hermite Polynomial to solve physics problems?

To apply Hermite Polynomials, you first need to identify the differential equation you are trying to solve in your physics problem. Then, you can use the properties of Hermite Polynomials, such as their orthogonality and recurrence relations, to simplify and solve the equation. It is important to have a good understanding of the properties and applications of Hermite Polynomials in order to effectively apply them in physics problems.

3. What are the advantages of using Hermite Polynomial in physics?

One of the main advantages of using Hermite Polynomials in physics is their ability to simplify and solve complicated differential equations. They also have many useful properties, such as orthogonality and recurrence relations, which make them a powerful tool in solving various physics problems. Additionally, Hermite Polynomials have applications in areas such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and signal processing.

4. Are there any limitations to using Hermite Polynomial in physics?

While Hermite Polynomials are a useful tool in solving physics problems, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be applicable to all types of differential equations, and their use may be limited to certain areas of physics. It is important to have a good understanding of the properties and applications of Hermite Polynomials in order to determine when and how to use them in physics problems.

5. Can Hermite Polynomial be used in experimental physics?

Yes, Hermite Polynomials can be used in experimental physics. They have applications in areas such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, which are commonly studied in experimental physics. However, their use may depend on the specific problem and the availability of data. It is important to have a good understanding of Hermite Polynomials and their applications in order to effectively use them in experimental physics.