1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermite Polynomials Integrals

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    Hi. I'm off to solve this integral and I'm not seeing how

[itex]\int dx Hm(x)Hm(x)e^{-2x^2}[/itex]

Where Hm(x) is the hermite polynomial of m-th order. I know the hermite polynomials are a orthogonal set under the distribution exp(-x^2) but this is not the case here.

Using Hm(x)=[itex](-1)^m e^{x^2}[/itex][itex]\frac{d^m}{dx^m}e^{-x^2}[/itex] I was able to rewrite the integral as

[itex]\int \left(\frac{d^m}{dx^m}e^{-x^2}\right)^2 dx[/itex]

I have calculated this integral for m=0,1,2,3,4,5 with mathematica and the result seems to be [itex](2m-1)!!\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex] but I need to prove it formally. Can you help me?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I haven't worked this out completely, but I'll suggest you try using the generating function
    $$g(x,t) = \exp(-t^2+2tx) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty H_n(x)\frac{t^n}{n!}$$

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Using the generating function, it was pretty straightforward to show that
    $$\int H_m(x)H_m(x) e^{-2x^2}\,dx = \sum_{m=2p+q} \frac{1}{q!}\left(\frac{m!}{p!2^p}\right)^2,$$ which appears to reproduce the result you found. I don't see how to simplify that sum to ##(2m-1)!!## however.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted