1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian adjoint of operator

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Im am considering a covariant differential:

D_\mu H = ( partial_\mu + \frac{1}{2} i g \tau_j W_{j\mu} + ig B_\mu ) H

H is an isospiner, \tau_j are the pauli spin matrices, \partial_\mu is the four-gradient \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} and W_{j \mu} and B_\mu are gauge fields.

I want to calculate (D_\mu H) ^{\dagger} (D^\mu H) but keep getting the wrong answer. So i've begun to doubt wether i do (D_\mu H) ^{\dagger} correct. Is it:

(D_\mu H)) ^{\dagger}= \partial_\mu H^{\dagger} - \frac{1}{2}ig H^{\dagger} \tau_j W_{j \mu} - H^{\dagger} i g B_\mu ?

or will the first term be: H^{\dagger} \partial_\mu ?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Please use the [ tex ] ... [ / tex ] tags (without the spaces in the tags) for your equations. They are hard to read in plain text. I'll do this one for you:

What does it look like in the momentum basis? Whenever you have derivatives, you should ask yourself, "can I understand this better, or calculate this more easily, in the momentum basis?"
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?