Hermitian-Einstein connection

• Thread starter calcutta78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, a Hermitian-Einstein connection is a special type of connection on a Hermitian vector bundle over a complex manifold. It preserves both the Hermitian metric and the Einstein condition, and has applications in various areas of mathematics and physics. It is different from a general connection in that it satisfies additional conditions and its curvature is self-dual. The Hermitian curvature measures the deviation of a connection from being Hermitian-Einstein, and there are ongoing research and open questions related to this connection, such as studying its moduli space and its connections to other areas of mathematics.
calcutta78
Recently I came to know about Narasimhan-Seshadri theorem. I think its a fascinating theorem connecting three major topics in mathematics, namely algebraic geometry, representation theory and differential geometry. I was looking at their original paper but fail to understand completely Does anybody know about any expository article on this theorem, specially the differential geometry part?
If people here are interested to understand its proof and many generalisations due to Donaldson, Hitchin, Simpson etc we can start a systematic discussion forum on this topic.
calcutta78

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear calcutta78,

Thank you for bringing up the Narasimhan-Seshadri theorem! As a fellow scientist and mathematician, I share your fascination with this theorem and its connections to various fields in mathematics.

To answer your question, there are indeed several expository articles available on the Narasimhan-Seshadri theorem, including its differential geometry component. Some examples include "The geometry of moduli spaces of vector bundles" by Nigel Hitchin and "The geometry of moduli spaces of sheaves" by Richard Thomas.

In addition, there are also many books that discuss the theorem in detail, such as "Principal Bundles: The Classical Case" by S. Ramanan and "Differential Geometry, Gauge Theories, and Gravity" by M. Nakahara.

I think it's a great idea to start a discussion forum on this topic to further understand the theorem and its generalizations. I'm sure many others would be interested in participating and learning more about this fascinating theorem. Thank you for suggesting it!

The Narasimhan-Seshadri theorem is indeed a fascinating result that connects three important areas of mathematics. It states that on a compact Riemann surface, there exists a bijective correspondence between stable holomorphic vector bundles and unitary representations of the fundamental group. This result has far-reaching consequences in algebraic geometry, representation theory, and differential geometry.

Regarding your question about an expository article on the differential geometry part of the theorem, I would recommend looking into the work of mathematician Simon Donaldson. He has made significant contributions to the study of Hermitian-Einstein connections and has written several expository articles on the topic. Some of his notable works include "Instantons and Geometric Invariant Theory" and "The Geometry of Four-Manifolds." These articles provide a detailed explanation of the differential geometry involved in the Narasimhan-Seshadri theorem.

I also think starting a discussion forum on this topic is a great idea. It would be a valuable platform for mathematicians and students to come together and discuss the theorem, its proof, and its generalizations. It can also serve as a learning opportunity for those who are interested in understanding this result in depth.

I hope this helps and I look forward to joining the discussion forum if it is created. The Narasimhan-Seshadri theorem is a beautiful and powerful result that deserves more attention and discussion in the mathematical community.

1. What is a Hermitian-Einstein connection?

A Hermitian-Einstein connection is a type of connection on a Hermitian vector bundle over a complex manifold. It is a connection that preserves both the Hermitian metric and the Einstein condition, which states that the curvature of the connection is proportional to the metric.

2. How is a Hermitian-Einstein connection different from a general connection?

A Hermitian-Einstein connection is a special case of a general connection, where it satisfies additional conditions related to the Hermitian metric and the Einstein condition. In particular, the curvature of a Hermitian-Einstein connection is self-dual, meaning it is equal to its own dual.

3. What are some applications of the Hermitian-Einstein connection?

The Hermitian-Einstein connection has applications in various areas of mathematics and physics, including differential geometry, complex analysis, and theoretical physics. It is used, for example, in the study of Yang-Mills equations, Calabi-Yau manifolds, and Hermitian-Einstein metrics on Kähler manifolds.

4. How is the Hermitian-Einstein connection related to the Hermitian curvature?

The Hermitian curvature is a tensor that measures the deviation of a connection from being Hermitian-Einstein. It is defined as the difference between the curvature of the connection and a certain multiple of the Hermitian metric. A connection is Hermitian-Einstein if and only if its Hermitian curvature is zero.

5. Are there any open questions or ongoing research related to the Hermitian-Einstein connection?

Yes, there are many open questions and ongoing research related to the Hermitian-Einstein connection. Some current areas of interest include studying the moduli space of Hermitian-Einstein connections, understanding the existence and uniqueness of these connections on different types of manifolds, and exploring their connections to other areas of mathematics such as algebraic geometry and representation theory.