1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian Operator or not?

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    Problem
    Consider the operator [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] which satisfies the property that [tex]\hat{C} \phi (x) = \phi ^ * (x)[/tex]. Is [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] Hermitian? What are the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of [tex]\hat{C}[/tex]?

Solution
    We have

[tex]\hat{C} \phi = \phi ^ *[/tex]
    [tex]\iff \phi^* \hat{C}^\dagger = \phi [/tex]

Substituting back into the first equation,
    [tex]\hat{C} (\phi^* \hat{C}^\dagger) = \phi ^ * = \hat{C} \phi[/tex]
    [tex]\iff (\hat{C} \phi)(\hat{C} - I) = 0[/tex]

Now, we know that [tex]\hat{C} \phi \neq 0[/tex], since (we assume that) [tex]\phi[/tex] isn't zero... if [tex]\hat{C} = 0,[/tex] then the original property that [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] satisfied couldn't possibly be true. Thus, we have that [tex]\hat{C} = I[/tex], which is clearly Hermitian.

Since [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] is just the identity operator, we know that all functions are the eigenfunctions of [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] and the only eigenvalue of [tex]\hat{C}[/tex] is 1.

Could someone verify that the above is true? It seems too simple =/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

C is OBVIOUSLY not the identity. It's the complex conjugation operator. It takes a function into it's complex conjugate. The identity takes a function into itself. Are you sure you can't think of any eigenstates of C?? They are pretty easy. Then write down the definition of Hermitian without trying to think of C as a matrix.

4. Jun 24, 2008 #3
    Heh, whoops... I see that all real functions are eigenstates for C. And C is not Hermitian... my calculation messed up in the factorization, which is incorrect. It's not Hermitian, because

[tex]\langle a | C b \rangle = \langle a | b^* \rangle = a^* b^*[/tex]
    [tex]\langle Ca | b \rangle = \langle a^* | b \rangle = ab[/tex]

We can see that all forms of [tex]e^{i\alpha}[/tex] are eigenvalues, where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is some real number. This is because

[tex]C \phi = p \phi \iff \phi^* = p \phi \iff \phi = p^* \phi^* \iff \phi^* = pp^* \phi^* \iff p^*p = 1 \iff p = e^{i \alpha}[/tex]

for some [tex]\alpha \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Thanks a bunch for the help and motivation to solve the problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?