1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian Operator Question

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    Let us define [tex]\hat{R} = |\psi_m\rangle \langle \psi_n|[/tex] where [tex]\psi_n[/tex] denotes the [tex]n[/tex]th eigenstate of some Hermitian operator. When is [tex]\hat{R}[/tex] Hermitian?

Well, let us just call |psi_m> = |m> and |psi_n> = |n>. Now, we need

|m><n| = |n><m|

If we left multiply by <m| then we find that

<n| = 0

By symmetry, if we left multiply by <n| we find that

<m| = 0

But, clearly, by inspection, we find that R is Hermitian if |m> = |n>. Are these all the solutions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Note that you don't automatically find that <n| = 0 or <m| = 0 when you operate with the other operator. You have to include the possibility that n = m first. So really what you get is

[tex]\left|n\right> = \delta_{n,m}\left|m\right>[/tex]

[tex]\left|m\right> = \delta_{n,m}\left|n\right>[/tex]

as [itex]\left<m\right|\left.n\right> = \delta_{n,m}[/itex] - so really the solution you found 'by inspection' was actually already considered. I just wanted to make sure you remembered this so that it doesn't slip by you in the future.

As for whether or not that's all the solutions, I don't see anything wrong with it. Even if you consider [itex]\left|n\right> \propto \left|m\right> + \left|l\right>[/itex], for some state [itex]l \neq m[/itex], you would end up with either |l> = 0 or |l> = |m>. So unless I too have missed something I'd say those are your only solutions. (I guess you could consider |n> = |m> = 0 explicity).
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?