Hermitian Operator Expectation Values

In summary: I mean if it were not identically zero then how would you look at the expectation value thing? Or is it that <ω2|Λ|ω1> is an expectation value?The expectation value is the normalized value of the eigenvalues (technically, it's the expectation of the commutator). If the eigenvalues are not identically zero, then the expectation value is not identically zero.
Sekonda
Hey,

I have the following question on Hermitian operators

yDaz3.png

Initially I thought this expectation value would have to be zero as the eigenvectors are mutually orthogonal due to Hermitian Operator and so provided the eigenvectors are distinct then the expectation would be zero... Though I'm not sure if this is correct.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Sk

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is indeed zero.

Sekonda said:
Hey,

I have the following question on Hermitian operators

yDaz3.png

Initially I thought this expectation value would have to be zero as the eigenvectors are mutually orthogonal due to Hermitian Operator and so provided the eigenvectors are distinct then the expectation would be zero... Though I'm not sure if this is correct.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Sk

[itex]
\langle \omega_2 | \Lambda \Omega | \omega_1\rangle =\langle \omega_2|\Lambda \omega_1|\omega_1\rangle = \omega_1\langle \omega_2|\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle\\

\langle \omega_2 | \Omega\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle = \langle\omega_2|\omega_2\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle= \omega_2\langle\omega_2|\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle
[/itex]
From [itex][\Omega,\Lambda]=0[/itex]
[itex]
\Longrightarrow
\omega_1\langle\omega_2|\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle = \omega_2\langle\omega_2|\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle \Longrightarrow \langle\omega_2|\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle=0
[/itex]

Ahh thanks cattlecattle I had written down pretty much this but wasn't sure if it was right, but now I do!

Cheers, thanks man
SK

cattlecattle said:
[itex]\langle \omega_2 | \Omega\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle = \langle\omega_2|\omega_2\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle= \omega_2\langle\omega_2|\Lambda|\omega_1\rangle
[/itex]

So if A|V1> = a|v1> where A is a Hermitian operator, then <v1|A = a<v1| ?

I would have thought <v1|A = a*<v1| ...

Is my first line above true only if A is Hermitian? What if it was merely square?

DocZaius said:
So if A|V1> = a|v1> where A is a Hermitian operator, then <v1|A = a<v1| ?

I would have thought <v1|A = a*<v1| ...

Is my first line above true only if A is Hermitian? What if it was merely square?

Yes, if A is hermitean (I call it self-adjoint), then the normal a* from your second line would be equal to a, since the eigenvalues of hermitean operators are real.

What do you mean 'square' ?

dextercioby said:
What do you mean 'square' ?

Not self adjoint but of the right dimension to satisfy A|v1> and <v1|A being valid operations. A would still have eigenvalue a for |v1>, but just not be self adjoint.

edit: I shouldn't have said square. I should have just said what if A|v1> = a|v1> and A is not hermitian? Then <v1|A = a*<v1| ? And it seems from dextercioby that that is the case.

Last edited:
DocZaius said:
Not self adjoint but of the right dimension to satisfy A|v1> and <v1|A being valid operations. A would still have eigenvalue a for |v1>, but just not be self adjoint.

edit: I shouldn't have said square. I should have just said what if A|v1> = a|v1> and A is not hermitian? Then <v1|A = a*<v1| ? And it seems from dextercioby that that is the case.
No, the general result is if
[itex]
\Omega|\omega\rangle=\omega|\omega\rangle
[/itex]
then
[itex]
\langle\omega|\Omega^\dagger=\langle\omega|\omega^*
[/itex]
There is usually no relation between [itex]\Omega|\omega\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle\omega|\Omega[/itex]

cattlecattle said:
No, the general result is if
[itex]
\Omega|\omega\rangle=\omega|\omega\rangle
[/itex]
then
[itex]
\langle\omega|\Omega^\dagger=\langle\omega|\omega^*
[/itex]
There is usually no relation between [itex]\Omega|\omega\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle\omega|\Omega[/itex]

Thanks!

why was it called expectation value?I mean if it were not identically zero then how would you look at the expectation value thing? Or is it that <ω2|Λ|ω1> is an expectation value?

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical object used in quantum mechanics to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, or energy. It is a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint, meaning that it is symmetric about the main diagonal.

2. What is the significance of a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is significant because it has real eigenvalues, which correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement of the associated observable. This makes it a useful tool for predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How is a Hermitian operator related to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of quantum systems, can be written in terms of a Hermitian operator called the Hamiltonian. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian correspond to the energy states of the system.

4. Can any operator be Hermitian?

No, not all operators can be Hermitian. For an operator to be Hermitian, it must satisfy certain mathematical conditions, such as being linear and equal to its own adjoint. In quantum mechanics, only observables can be represented by Hermitian operators.

5. How is the Hermitian property of an operator related to the conservation of probability?

The Hermitian property of an operator is related to the conservation of probability in quantum mechanics. This is because the eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator represent the probabilities of measuring certain outcomes, and the sum of all probabilities must equal 1. Therefore, the Hermitian property ensures that the probabilities of all possible outcomes are conserved.