Hermitian Operator: AB Hermitian if [A,B]=0

In summary, to show that AB is Hermitian when A and B are both Hermitian, we can consider the scalar product <x, AB y>, where x and y are in the domain of AB. Using the fact that (AB)^+=B^+A^+, we can show that <x, AB y> = <x, BA y>. Since AB=BA, this means that AB is symmetric/hermitean. Therefore, [A,B]=0.
alisa
show that if A and B are both Hermitian, AB is Hermitian only if [A,B]=0. where or how do io start?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the property (AB)+=B+a+

+ denoting hermitian conjugation

alisa said:
show that if A and B are both Hermitian, AB is Hermitian only if [A,B]=0. where or how do io start?

Expand [A,B]=0, then use the hint above.

Here's how i'd do it. Consider the scalar product

[tex] \langle x, AB y\rangle [/tex] (1)

for "x" unspecified yet and [itex] y\in D(AB), \overline{D(AB)}=\mathcal{H} [/itex] an arbitrary element.

[tex] \langle x, AB y\rangle = \langle x, A^{\dagger}B y\rangle [/tex] (2)

,where [itex] D(A^{\dagger}B)=D(AB) [/itex], since [itex] D(A)\subseteq D\left(A^{\dagger}\right) [/itex]

[tex] \langle x, A^{\dagger}B y\rangle =\langle x, A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger} y\rangle [/tex] (3)

as [itex] B\subseteq B^{\dagger} [/itex]. Therefore [itex] y\in D\left(A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger}\right) [/itex] and [itex] D(AB)\subseteq D\left(A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger}\right) [/itex].

[tex] \langle x, A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger} y\rangle =\langle Ax, B^{\dagger} y\rangle [/tex] (4),

if [itex] x\in D(A) [/itex].

[tex] \langle Ax, B^{\dagger} y\rangle =\langle BAx, y\rangle [/tex] (5),

if [itex] x\in D(BA)\subseteq D(A)[/itex].

[tex] \langle BAx, y\rangle=\langle ABx, y\rangle [/tex] (6),

since, by hypothesis [itex] AB=BA [/itex].
Finally

[tex] \langle ABx, y\rangle =\langle x, \left(AB)^{\dagger}y\rangle [/tex](7)

by the definition of the adjoint. Therefore [itex] y\in D\left((AB)^{\dagger}\right) [/itex] and

[tex] ABy=(AB)^{\dagger} y {} \wedge D(AB)\subseteq D\left((AB)^{\dagger}\right) [/tex] (8),

which means the operator AB is symmetric/hermitean.

QED.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Here's how i'd do it. Consider the scalar product

[tex] \langle x, AB y\rangle [/tex] (1)

for "x" unspecified yet and [itex] y\in D(AB), \overline{D(AB)}=\mathcal{H} [/itex] an arbitrary element.

[tex] \langle x, AB y\rangle = \langle x, A^{\dagger}B y\rangle [/tex] (2)

,where [itex] D(A^{\dagger}B)=D(AB) [/itex], since [itex] D(A)\subseteq D\left(A^{\dagger}\right) [/itex]

[tex] \langle x, A^{\dagger}B y\rangle =\langle x, A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger} y\rangle [/tex] (3)

as [itex] B\subseteq B^{\dagger} [/itex]. Therefore [itex] y\in D\left(A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger}\right) [/itex] and [itex] D(AB)\subseteq D\left(A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger}\right) [/itex].

[tex] \langle x, A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger} y\rangle =\langle Ax, B^{\dagger} y\rangle [/tex] (4),

if [itex] x\in D(A) [/itex].

[tex] \langle Ax, B^{\dagger} y\rangle =\langle BAx, y\rangle [/tex] (5),

if [itex] x\in D(BA)\subseteq D(A)[/itex].

[tex] \langle BAx, y\rangle=\langle ABx, y\rangle [/tex] (6),

since, by hypothesis [itex] AB=BA [/itex].
Finally

[tex] \langle ABx, y\rangle =\langle x, \left(AB)^{\dagger}y\rangle [/tex](7)

by the definition of the adjoint. Therefore [itex] y\in D\left((AB)^{\dagger}\right) [/itex] and

[tex] ABy=(AB)^{\dagger} y {} \wedge D(AB)\subseteq D\left((AB)^{\dagger}\right) [/tex] (8),

which means the operator AB is symmetric/hermitean.

QED.

wouldn't it be easier to just say that x,y are in the domain of the operators A, B (which i agree IS important to state, as is actually applying the operator to an element as opposed to treating it as some "algebraic" quantity as many books do)? in which case the proof would reduce to about 4 lines. in other words, when would the domain of A and its hermitian conjugate NOT be the same?

alisa said:

Dear alisa, Does it go like this?

Let |n> be an eigenstate of A and B. Then:

AB|n> = Abn|n> = bn.an|n>.

Therefore AB is hermitean because bn.an is real.

In a similar expansion you will find that: [A, B]|n> = 0.

So, given |n>, AB is hermitean and [A, B] = 0.

This should point you in the right direction; check it out, wm

Last edited:
quetzalcoatl9 said:
in which case the proof would reduce to about 4 lines.

I don't know about that. I don't claim that my proof is unique/the shortest possible.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
in other words, when would the domain of A and its hermitian conjugate NOT be the same?

By the Hellinger-Toeplitz theorem, iff the operator A is bounded. My proof accounts for the arbitrary character of the A and B operators.

wm said:
Dear alisa, Does it go like this?

Let |n> be an eigenstate of A and B. Then:

AB|n> = Abn|n> = bn.an|n>.

Therefore AB is hermitean because bn.an is real.

In a similar expansion you will find that: [A, B]|n> = 0.

So, given |n>, AB is hermitean and [A, B] = 0.

This should point you in the right direction; check it out, wm

The spectrum of a hermitean operator is not necessarily real. Actually only the eigenvalues (points in the pure point spectrum) are real, however, one cannot guarantee that [itex] |n\rangle [/itex] is an element of the Hilbert space. Therefore one cannot guarantee that "a_{n}b_{n}" is real. And even if it was real, there are examples of nonhermitean operators with real spectral values.

dextercioby said:
The spectrum of a hermitean operator is not necessarily real. Actually only the eigenvalues (points in the pure point spectrum) are real, however, one cannot guarantee that [itex] |n\rangle [/itex] is an element of the Hilbert space. Therefore one cannot guarantee that "a_{n}b_{n}" is real. And even if it was real, there are examples of nonhermitean operators with real spectral values.

Dear dextercioby, At alisa's level I thought it might go like this:

Let

(1) A|x> = a|x>. If A is hermitean then (by definition):

(2) <x|A|x> = <x|A|x>*. Substituting (1) into (2):

(3) <x|a|x> = <x|a|x>*; ie,

(4) a<x|x> = a*<x|x>; ie,

(5) a = a*; ie, a is real (zero being excluded as trivial).

Thus, in the example that I gave: bn.an is real (because each factor is real).

Would that be satisfactory at alisa's level? wm

I don't know Alisa's level of education. And in this case i'd rather make no assumption, unlike you.

dextercioby said:
I don't know Alisa's level of education. And in this case i'd rather make no assumption, unlike you.

Dear dextercioby, With alisa's best interests in view, may I suggest that you alert her to the ''level of education'' at which my analysis fails?

Thanks; and best regards, wm

Your analysis is mathematically faulty. At best it can be considered a heuristic approach with made with disputable arguments. But this is already off-topic, so i'd say "let's drop it".

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe observable properties of a physical system. It is a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint, meaning that the operator and its conjugate transpose are the same.

2. What does it mean for an operator to be Hermitian?

An operator is Hermitian if it satisfies the condition [A,B]=0, meaning that its commutator with any other operator is equal to zero. This implies that the operator has real eigenvalues and its eigenvectors form an orthonormal basis.

3. How is the Hermitian property used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hermitian operators are used to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. The Hermitian property ensures that the measurement of these observables will always yield real values and that the operators have a complete set of eigenvectors.

4. Can all operators in quantum mechanics be Hermitian?

No, not all operators in quantum mechanics are Hermitian. However, any observable quantity in quantum mechanics must be represented by a Hermitian operator, as this ensures that the measured values are real and that the operator has a complete set of eigenvectors.

5. What is the significance of the commutator [A,B]=0 in the Hermitian property?

The commutator [A,B]=0 indicates that the operators A and B can be measured simultaneously without affecting each other's values. This is known as the principle of compatibility and is essential in quantum mechanics for making simultaneous measurements of observables.