Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian operator

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    How to check if an operator is hermitian? I mean what is the condition
    Actualy, i am using the principe that say that the eigenvalue associated with the operator must be a REAL NUMBER.That is to say that i work out to that eigenvalue and see if it is a real number. Am i right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Using the (x,y) notation for the scalar product, the definition of [itex]H^\dagger[/itex] is

[tex](H^\dagger x,y)=(x,Hy)[/tex]

and the definition of "hermitian" is [itex]H^\dagger=H[/itex]. So you usually don't have to think about eigenvalues.
  4. Sep 21, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

Fredrik's definition is correct, and it is also true that an operator thus defined has real eigenvalues, as you said.
  5. Sep 22, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

For an hermitian, ALL of the evs must be real.
    Just checking one ev isn't enough.
  6. Sep 22, 2008 #5
    True, this is necessary, but not sufficient. It is possible that all eigenvalues are
    real for a non-Hermitian operator. A very simple example is the 2x2 matrix
    ((1, 3), (2, 2)) which is not Hermitian, but it has two distinct real eigenvalues,
    namely 4 and -1.

On the other hand, Fredrik's definition is a good one, stick to it. It is valid for
    all finite dimensional Vector spaces with an inner product. In QM, the vector
    space can be infinite dimensional of course. In that case, Fredrik's definition
    requires some supplementary conditions about bounded operators.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?