Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian Operators and Imaginary Numbers

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    So I understand what a hermitian operator is and how if A and B are hermitian operators, then the product of AB is not necessarily Hermitian since

*Note here + is dagger

(AB)+=B+A+=BA

I also recognize that (AB-BA) is not Hermitian since (AB-BA)+=B+A+-A+B+

In addition, I know that any real number a is a Hermitian operator since <Psi l|a Psi n>=<aPsi l|Psi n>

Now here comes my questions.
    Where A and B are both hermitian operators,
    1)how do we know if something like i(AB-BA) is a hermitian operator where i is an imaginary number? How do I show that this is not a hermitian operator because I am pretty sure it is not?

2) and how would I show that (AB+BA/2) is Hermitian because I feel like it should be, but I dont know how to interchange the 2 with the A and B operators?

And if operator A corresponds to observable A, and operator B corresponds to observable B, what is a "good" (i.e.Hermitian) operator that corresponds to the physically observable product AB?

When I am dealing with two operators, I dont think I am confused on how to work with them, but when dealing with 3 I get a little iffy. Peace and love.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[ i(AB-BA)]+ = (-i)(B+ A+ - A+ B+) = (-i) (BA-AB) = i(AB-BA)

(AB+BA/2)+ - (AB+BA/2) = BA + AB/2 - AB - BA/2 = BA/2 - AB/2 = [B,A] / 2

So if A and B do not commute, the difference between your operator and its conjugate is not 0 (because equal to the commutator divided by 2).

1/2 (AB + BA).

(Wigner's prescription, I think it is called).

It is not unique, of course ;
    you can have 1/2(AB + BA) + c i [A,B] with c an arbitrary real number for example.

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Sep 23, 2004 #3
    :smile:
    Hi, here are the answers
    1) Just use the definition of "Hermitian" : A+ = A and B+ = B (they are hermitian)
    so you get :

[ i(AB-BA)]+ = (-i)(B+ A+ - A+ B+) = (-i) (BA-AB) and this equals i(AB-BA)

2) Same system, man, just use the definition of hermitian operators :

(AB+BA/2)+ - (AB+BA/2) = (BA + AB/2) - AB - BA/2 = BA/2 - AB/2 = [B,A] / 2

If A and B are not commuting operators then the difference between the given operator and its conjugate is not 0 . If A and B commute then the commutator will be 0 !!

3) this is an easy one and the answer is

1/2 (AB + BA)

regards
    marlon

5. Sep 23, 2004 #4
    Sorry, Patrick

I did not see you already answered this question...

I apologize for that...

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook