1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hermitian Operators Eigenvalues

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a hermitian Operator A and a quantum state |Psi>=a|1>+b|2> (so we're an in a two-dim. Hilbert space)
    In generally, {|1>,|2>} is not the eigenbasis of the operator A.

I shall now show that the Eigenvaluse of A are the maximal (minimal) expection values <Psi|A|Psi>.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to calculate the expectation, which yields to:

|a|^2 A_11 + |b|^2 A_22 +a b* A_12 +b a* A_21

, where A_kl are the matrix elements of the operator A in the given basis of the Hilbert space.
    Now I could try to maximize this w.r.t to a and b, under the constraint that a^2 + b^2 =1. Didn't work very well...

Does anyone have an idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Show us what you did and what went wrong!

4. Oct 26, 2014 #3
    Hey Shyan,

thanks for your answer. I tried to find the maximum by using the Lagrange function, so:

L=|a|^2 A_11 + |b|^2 A_22 +a b* A_12 +b a* A_21+lambda(a^2 + b^2 - 1)

Now I got the problem that I don't know how derive L w.r.t c* (conjugated c). I also think that there is a better way to solve this exercise or?

Best regards

5. Oct 26, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Hi
    The usual way of dealing with such a situation is to take c and c* as two independent variables(which is reasonable since c* is not a differentiable function of c). So you have a function of four independent variables to maximise with the constraint equation aa*+bb*=1.

6. Oct 30, 2014 #5
    Thank you very much! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted