Hermitian Operators Eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the maximum and minimum eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator A in a two-dimensional Hilbert space, given a quantum state |Psi>=a|1>+b|2>. The key is to calculate the expectation value <Psi|A|Psi> and then maximize it using the Lagrange function, with the constraint that a^2 + b^2 = 1. However, there may be a better approach to solve this exercise.
Faust90

Homework Statement

I have a hermitian Operator A and a quantum state |Psi>=a|1>+b|2> (so we're an in a two-dim. Hilbert space)
In generally, {|1>,|2>} is not the eigenbasis of the operator A.

I shall now show that the Eigenvaluse of A are the maximal (minimal) expection values <Psi|A|Psi>.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate the expectation, which yields to:

|a|^2 A_11 + |b|^2 A_22 +a b* A_12 +b a* A_21

, where A_kl are the matrix elements of the operator A in the given basis of the Hilbert space.
Now I could try to maximize this w.r.t to a and b, under the constraint that a^2 + b^2 =1. Didn't work very well...

Does anyone have an idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you did and what went wrong!

Hey Shyan,

thanks for your answer. I tried to find the maximum by using the Lagrange function, so:

L=|a|^2 A_11 + |b|^2 A_22 +a b* A_12 +b a* A_21+lambda(a^2 + b^2 - 1)

Now I got the problem that I don't know how derive L w.r.t c* (conjugated c). I also think that there is a better way to solve this exercise or?

Best regards

Hi
The usual way of dealing with such a situation is to take c and c* as two independent variables(which is reasonable since c* is not a differentiable function of c). So you have a function of four independent variables to maximise with the constraint equation aa*+bb*=1.

Likes Faust90
Thank you very much! :-)

1. What are hermitian operators and how are they related to eigenvalues?

Hermitian operators are linear operators on a complex vector space that satisfy the condition that their adjoint is equal to themselves. This means that the operator and its adjoint have the same eigenvalues. Eigenvalues are the values that, when multiplied by the corresponding eigenvector, give the original vector back, up to a scalar multiple.

2. How do you determine the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator?

To determine the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator, you can use the spectral theorem, which states that every hermitian operator can be diagonalized by a unitary matrix. This means that you can find the eigenvalues by finding the diagonal elements of the diagonalized matrix.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, eigenvalues correspond to the possible outcomes of measurements on a quantum system. The eigenvectors of a hermitian operator represent the states of the system, and the eigenvalues represent the possible values that can be measured for that observable. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can a hermitian operator have complex eigenvalues?

No, a hermitian operator can only have real eigenvalues. This is because the eigenvalues are the values that, when multiplied by the corresponding eigenvector, give the original vector back, up to a scalar multiple. For a hermitian operator, the eigenvectors must be orthogonal, and complex eigenvalues would violate this condition.

5. What is the physical significance of a hermitian operator having only real eigenvalues?

The physical significance of a hermitian operator having only real eigenvalues is that it ensures the observables in quantum mechanics have real values. This is important because observable quantities, such as energy, position, and momentum, must have real values in order to make sense in the physical world. The fact that a hermitian operator can only have real eigenvalues helps to ensure the predictions made by quantum mechanics are in line with our physical observations.