Determining Hermitian Operators: Cases 1 and 2

In summary, to determine if the operator A is Hermitian, we can take two vectors f and g, which are functions of x, and calculate ff = Af and gg = Ag. If A is Hermitian, then <gg,f> = <g,ff> for all f and g. To check if an operator is symmetric, we can use the scalar product between two arbitrary vectors in the Hilbert space L^{2}\left(\mathbb{R}\right) and see if it follows the equation <\psi, \hat{A}\phi> = <\hat{A}\psi, \phi> for all vectors \psi and \phi.
James R
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My memory is fading. Can somebody please remind me how I would go about determining in each of the following cases whether the operator A is Hermitian or not?

Case 1.

[tex]A\psi(x) = \psi(x+a)[/tex]

Case 2.

[tex]A\psi(x) = \psi^*(x)[/tex]

where the star indicates complex conjugation.

Physics news on Phys.org
James R said:
My memory is fading. Can somebody please remind me how I would go about determining in each of the following cases whether the operator A is Hermitian or not?

Case 1.

[tex]A\psi(x) = \psi(x+a)[/tex]

Case 2.

[tex]A\psi(x) = \psi^*(x)[/tex]

where the star indicates complex conjugation.

take two vectors, f and g. In your case, these are functions of x.
Now calculate ff = A f and gg = A g.
If A is hermitean, then <gg,f> = <g,ff> for all f and g.

Assume for simplicity that [itex] \hat{A} [/itex] is an linear operator continuous on the Hilbert space [itex] L^{2}\left(\mathbb{R}\right) [/itex] in which the scalar product between 2 arbitrary vectors is

[tex] \langle \psi,\phi \rangle =\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} dx \ \psi^{*}(x) \phi (x) [/tex].

If an operator described above is symmetric, then

[tex] \langle \psi, \hat{A}\phi\rangle =\langle \hat{A}\psi, \phi\rangle , \forall \psi,\phi \in \mathcal{H} [/tex]

So check both operators now.

Daniel.

Thanks.....

1. What are hermitian operators?

Hermitian operators are operators that have a special property in quantum mechanics, where their eigenvalues are always real numbers. This means that they correspond to physically observable quantities.

2. What is the difference between cases 1 and 2 when determining hermitian operators?

In case 1, the operator is equal to its own adjoint, while in case 2, the operator is equal to the negative of its own adjoint. This leads to different methods for determining if an operator is hermitian.

3. How do you determine if an operator is hermitian in case 1?

In case 1, you can determine if an operator is hermitian by checking if it satisfies the condition A=A*, where A is the operator and A* is its adjoint. If this condition is met, then the operator is hermitian.

4. How do you determine if an operator is hermitian in case 2?

In case 2, you can determine if an operator is hermitian by checking if it satisfies the condition A=-A*, where A is the operator and A* is its adjoint. If this condition is met, then the operator is hermitian.

5. Why is it important to determine if an operator is hermitian?

Determining if an operator is hermitian is important because hermitian operators have real eigenvalues, which correspond to physically observable quantities in quantum mechanics. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system and verify these predictions through experiments.