Hermitian Operators and Imaginary Numbers

In summary, a hermitian operator is one that always returns the same result when operated on together. Hermitian operators include both real and imaginary numbers. If A and B are hermitian operators, then the product of AB is not necessarily Hermitian since (AB+BA) may not equal B+A. In addition, any real number a is a hermitian operator because <Psi l|a Psi n>=<aPsi l|Psi n>. Finally, to show that something like (AB+BA/2) is not a hermitian operator, one would have to show that it is not commutative.
Ed Quanta
So I understand what a hermitian operator is and how if A and B are hermitian operators, then the product of AB is not necessarily Hermitian since

*Note here + is dagger

(AB)+=B+A+=BA

I also recognize that (AB-BA) is not Hermitian since (AB-BA)+=B+A+-A+B+

In addition, I know that any real number a is a Hermitian operator since <Psi l|a Psi n>=<aPsi l|Psi n>

Now here comes my questions.
Where A and B are both hermitian operators,
1)how do we know if something like i(AB-BA) is a hermitian operator where i is an imaginary number? How do I show that this is not a hermitian operator because I am pretty sure it is not?

2) and how would I show that (AB+BA/2) is Hermitian because I feel like it should be, but I don't know how to interchange the 2 with the A and B operators?

And if operator A corresponds to observable A, and operator B corresponds to observable B, what is a "good" (i.e.Hermitian) operator that corresponds to the physically observable product AB?

When I am dealing with two operators, I don't think I am confused on how to work with them, but when dealing with 3 I get a little iffy. Peace and love.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ed Quanta said:
Where A and B are both hermitian operators,
1)how do we know if something like i(AB-BA) is a hermitian operator where i is an imaginary number? How do I show that this is not a hermitian operator because I am pretty sure it is not?

[ i(AB-BA)]+ = (-i)(B+ A+ - A+ B+) = (-i) (BA-AB) = i(AB-BA)

2) and how would I show that (AB+BA/2) is Hermitian because I feel like it should be, but I don't know how to interchange the 2 with the A and B operators?

(AB+BA/2)+ - (AB+BA/2) = BA + AB/2 - AB - BA/2 = BA/2 - AB/2 = [B,A] / 2

So if A and B do not commute, the difference between your operator and its conjugate is not 0 (because equal to the commutator divided by 2).

And if operator A corresponds to observable A, and operator B corresponds to observable B, what is a "good" (i.e.Hermitian) operator that corresponds to the physically observable product AB?

1/2 (AB + BA).

(Wigner's prescription, I think it is called).

It is not unique, of course ;
you can have 1/2(AB + BA) + c i [A,B] with c an arbitrary real number for example.

cheers,
Patrick.

:smile:
Ed Quanta said:

Hi, here are the answers
1) Just use the definition of "Hermitian" : A+ = A and B+ = B (they are hermitian)
so you get :

[ i(AB-BA)]+ = (-i)(B+ A+ - A+ B+) = (-i) (BA-AB) and this equals i(AB-BA)

2) Same system, man, just use the definition of hermitian operators :

(AB+BA/2)+ - (AB+BA/2) = (BA + AB/2) - AB - BA/2 = BA/2 - AB/2 = [B,A] / 2

If A and B are not commuting operators then the difference between the given operator and its conjugate is not 0 . If A and B commute then the commutator will be 0 !

3) this is an easy one and the answer is

1/2 (AB + BA)

regards
marlon

Sorry, Patrick

I did not see you already answered this question...

I apologize for that...

marlon

1. What are Hermitian operators?

Hermitian operators are linear operators in quantum mechanics that correspond to physical observables. They have the property of being self-adjoint, meaning that their eigenvalues are real and their eigenvectors are orthogonal.

2. How are Hermitian operators related to imaginary numbers?

Hermitian operators are related to imaginary numbers because they can be expressed as a linear combination of the identity operator and an imaginary number multiplied by the Pauli matrices. This allows for the representation of complex numbers and operations in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are significant in quantum mechanics because they represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. They also have the property of being self-adjoint, which is necessary for the conservation of probability in quantum systems.

4. How are imaginary numbers used in quantum mechanics?

Imaginary numbers are used in quantum mechanics to represent the complex wave functions that describe the behavior of quantum particles. They are also used in the mathematical operations of quantum mechanics, such as calculating probabilities and expectation values.

5. What are some examples of Hermitian operators?

Some examples of Hermitian operators include the position operator, which corresponds to the physical observable of position, and the Hamiltonian operator, which corresponds to the total energy of a quantum system. Other examples include the angular momentum operator and the spin operator.