Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Jan 28, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since I grew up with the captain my mom sent this to me. I didn't have the heart to forward the links that follow.

In my eyes Bob Keeshan is still a hero.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2004 #2

He joined the Marine Corps in 1945.

His first television appearance came in 1948, when he played the voiceless, horn-honking Clarabell the Clown on the ``Howdy Doody Show,'' a role he created and played for five years.

``Captain Kangaroo'' premiered on CBS in 1955 and ran for 30 years

Psychologist Dr. Joyce Brothers, who spent three seasons on the show....

As for ``Barney and Friends,'' Keeshan found the popular 1990s show gentle but boring -- ``what we used to call `a program in a telephone booth.'''

``Play is the work of children. It's very serious stuff. And if it's properly structured in a developmental program, children can blossom,''

good stuff....more....

there's some info on this at snopes.com

have to check further (Lee's one of my heroes), but one of my uncles is a Marine (you know-once a.....) and i read through one of his books about wwII-and the Pacific--included lists of every battle and all 'facts'-dead wounded etc.-swear, Lee Marvin was one of 3 survivors on some island-forget the details now---he said it was 'that' Lee--?--but did hear him talk about it-joined at 17......remember the movie just him and the great Japanese actor-stranded on island together?---what about hobo in "Emperor of the North"--with Ernest Borgine as the 'bull'?.....on and on.....
  4. Jan 28, 2004 #3
    edit add:
    {Lee Marvin... Hollywood actor Lee Marvin served as a Private First Class in the Marines in World War II. In the battle of Saipan in 1944, he was one of only nine survivors ...
    http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/military/lee_marvin.htm -

Says he learned to "act" in the Marines, trying to act unafraid during ferocious combat, which brought him a Purple Heart during invasion of Saipan.

The body of Lee Marvin was interred next to that of Joe Louis in Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va. USA.

In the battle of Saipan in June 1944, he was wounded in the buttocks by Japanese fire which severed his sciatic nerve. He was invalided home and got menial work as a plumber's apprentice in Woodstock, New York. While repairing a toilet at the local community theatre, he was asked to replace an ailing actor in a rehearsal......

"Ah, stardom! They put your name on a star in the sidewalk on Hollywood Boulevard and you walk down and find a pile of dog manure on it. That tells the whole story, baby."
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2004
  5. Jan 29, 2004 #4

Science Advisor

Jimmy Stewart had a very impressive war record. He flew B-17's over Germany. Many people think of our modern planes and don't realize how dangerous that was. Bomber duty had a vary high mortality rate. He rose to the rank of colonel I believe. He worked hard to get this assignment, rather than getting stuck doing USO-like stuff.

I always found it ironic that in his most famous movie role he was 4F.

6. Jan 29, 2004 #5

Staff: Mentor

So I take it Mr. Rogers wasn't a SEAL either? Seals come in two body types, the stocky musclebound and the lean, relatively normal looking. The lean, relatively normal looking do have one physical feature they never lose: huge upper traps (the muscles right behind your neck) that make you look like a hunch-back. I don't think (could be wrong) that Mr. Rogers could have been a SEAL.
  7. Jan 29, 2004 #6
    Heroes and
    Truth Decay

--Davy Crockett shot in the back running from the Alamo?--hard to take

The first rule in keeping secrets is "nothing on paper."
    CIA Director Richard Helms
    Bush's Military Record Reveals Grounding and Absence for Two Full Years
    by Robert A. Rogers (USAF - Ret)
    "I think that people need to be held responsible for the actions they take in life. I think that's part of the need for a cultural change. We need to say that each of us needs to be responsible for what we do." – George W. Bush in the first Presidential debate, October 3, 2000.

But the first independent investigation of Bush's military record by a former Air National Guard pilot has revealed the following:
    1. Pilot George W. Bush did not simply "give up flying" with two years left to fly, as has been reported. Instead, Bush was suspended and grounded, very possibly as a direct or indirect result of substance abuse.
    2. The crucial evidence – a Flight Inquiry Board – that would reveal the true reasons for Bush's suspension, as well as the punishment that was recommended, is missing from the records released so far. If no such Board was convened, this raises further questions of extraordinary favoritism.
    3. Contrary to Bush's emphatic statements and several published reports, Bush never actually reported in person for the last two years of his service – in direct violation of two separate written orders. Moreover, the lack of punishment for this misconduct represents the crowning achievement of a military career distinguished only by favoritism.
    this is quite a Debunkin--
    if this guy were a "Balloon Skeptic"-might get somewhere on this UFO cover-up....

Trust me-everybody will lie to you.....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?