Exploring Vibrating Silicon Atoms

In summary, there is no direct conversion from frequency to energy, but there is a relation of E=\hbar\omega. The speaker is trying to convert a unitless frequency range of 2 to 80 mevs using \omega=2\sqrt{K_i/M}, where K_i is 10.6 eV/\AA^2 and M is the mass of silicon. They are unsure how to reach 80 mevs and have only been able to calculate 1/s using the mass of silicon in mevs/c^2.
msimmons
When considering a vibrating silicon atom.
I'm just not sure how to do the conversion o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
MeV is mega-electron volts which is equivalent to Joules or energy. So you can't convert frequency to energy.

I know, not directly, but I'm looking for a relation that's something along the lines of [tex]E=\hbar\omega[/tex] but I don't know of any.

Essentially, I'm going from a unitless/normalized frequency of 2 to 80 mevs using [tex] \omega=2\sqrt{K_i/M}[/tex] where [tex]K_i[/tex] is 10.6 [tex]eV/\AA^2[/tex] and M is the mass of silicon. I should get approximately 80 mevs.. Not sure how I get there. I got to 1/s easily by using the mass of silicon in mevs/c^2 but that's about it

1. What is "Exploring Vibrating Silicon Atoms"?

"Exploring Vibrating Silicon Atoms" is a scientific research study that focuses on understanding the behavior and movement of individual silicon atoms. This study aims to gain insights into the fundamental properties of silicon atoms and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. Why is it important to study vibrating silicon atoms?

Silicon is a crucial element in many technological applications, such as computer chips and solar cells. By studying the vibrations of silicon atoms, scientists can gain a better understanding of how these materials behave and potentially improve their performance and efficiency.

3. How do scientists explore vibrating silicon atoms?

Scientists use advanced tools and techniques, such as scanning tunneling microscopy and atomic force microscopy, to observe and manipulate individual silicon atoms. These techniques allow scientists to see the movement and behavior of atoms at a nanoscale level.

4. What have scientists learned from exploring vibrating silicon atoms?

Through this research, scientists have discovered that silicon atoms vibrate at specific frequencies and interact with their neighboring atoms in a predictable manner. They have also gained insights into the effects of temperature and pressure on these vibrations.

5. How can the study of vibrating silicon atoms contribute to future advancements?

Understanding the behavior of individual silicon atoms can aid in the development of new technologies and materials. This research can also help improve the efficiency and performance of existing technologies that rely on silicon, leading to advancements in various fields such as electronics, energy production, and medicine.