Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hertzian contact stress

1. Jul 14, 2008 #1
    As shown in the attachment, the link (blue) is connected to two pins A and B (red).

Force is applied by the pin A on the link along the x direction purely.

A reaction force is expected at the corresponding point of contact between the pin B and the link

I am told that the compressive stress produced around the contact region of the pin B and the link, is explained by the hertzian stress.

I am unable to find any literature that might give me the method to calculate the contact stresses using hertzian stress criteria.

1. Is hertzian stress criteria the right way to approach this problem?
    2. If yes, could someone please tell me how.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2008 #2
    It may be more of an interference fit. Others may be able to help more than me. Regardless there are several calculators at:
  4. Jul 14, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

Your basic assumption of Hertzian stresses may not be a bad one. I would first consider looking at Roark's, Chapter 13, Table 33, Load condition 2c to determine the bearing stresses.
  5. Dec 2, 2008 #4
    I dont think Hertzian stress will act in your problem.
    Gear rolling,rollers under friction drive applications are similar examples of hertzian stress
    In your problem pin is fixed with link and together pin with link rotating for this type of problem you search also hoop stress topics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?